Re: SCAM ALERT

mschultz63
Megan Alexandra S Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
1 of 16

millermelanie
Community Guru
Melanie M Member Since: Jul 13, 2016
2 of 16

You accepted a check outside of the Upwork platform?  Speaking of fraudulence . . . 

mschultz63
3 of 16

This is my first time using the site and I didnt realize anything was unsual. I am not the fraudent one here, I simply trying to warn other people this is happening.

millermelanie
Community Guru
Melanie M Member Since: Jul 13, 2016
4 of 16

Accepting money outside of the platform defrauds Upwork from their fees.  I'm sure you did not mean to, but you have committed an egregious violation of the Terms of Service which can get your account suspended. Thank you for warning us about this client, but you should have ended contact with them as soon as they suggested sending you a check directly rather than through the platform. 

mschultz63
5 of 16
I understand that now. I hope I won't be penalized by bringing this to light. I had no way of knowing what happened wasn't upwork protocol since I've literally never gotten any work from them. This is my first experience with Upwork and I had no idea what was going on.
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 16

Did you deposit it and send the money back to them?

mschultz63
7 of 16
No, I never deposited anything. As soon as I received the check, I knew something was wrong so I contacted the company they were claiming to be. The company told me that they aren't affiliated with the scammers and that this has happened many times before. It seems like they have been targeting upwork users and I just wanted to warn people.
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 16

that's good. at least you didn't deposit it

they get really angry when they send you a check and you don't deposit it heeehee

prantu
Ace Contributor
Tamal S Member Since: Apr 3, 2017
9 of 16

The good thing about Bangladesh is we never receive anything via post mail office. Not that they filter out the scams, actually they don't deliver anything in time. There is no way to deposit if we can't receive the check. So I guess this is a good thing, right?

"I'm silently judging your font choice."

mschultz63
10 of 16

The company is called **edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS