cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SCAM-Alert] Shady interview form - Client impersonating someone from a big company

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Davide O Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
1 of 12

[I'm gonna give out names, feel free to "block" them as you see fit, as probably none of those are real, as it's probably some scummy people impersonating big companies employees]

Hi there, I just wanted to warn everyone about some guys that are trying to scam freelancers, using this platform to get as much people as they can into their own little scam.

I got contacted after applying to a job by **Edited for Community Guidelines**; the job had a huge number of freelancers to hire (I think 80+), and while everything seem'd to be put in a proper professional form, it came out to be just a scam:

She messaged me on Upwork and told me that if I was interested, we could setup an interview on skype with Mrs **Edited for Community Guidelines**", I added this lady and proceeded with the interview.

These guys are impersonating **Edited for Community Guidelines** (in my case), and they're not legit at all. Mrs **Edited for Community Guidelines** interviewed me on Skype (skype ID:**Edited for Community Guidelines**) and after asking some usual interview-questions like "why do you think we should hire you, past experiences, etc (+ address, zipcode, phone, 2 professional references that they said were used to "register me" in their database or something)  she told me that I was found qualified for the job and was hired,

That instantly seem'd fishy to me, firstly because it seem'd they didn't wanna deal on the Upwork platform, second because to be hired on a big company it usually takes months to review your portfolio, phone calls, and all that jazz.

So I started doing some research, and apparently the form she used as an interview is pretty common in job-interview scams. I'll provide a couple of "highlight-points" to recognize similar attempts that you might stumble upon:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

And during the interview she asked to finish each answer with "(DONE)" at one point.

I then just had to wait for the "employment letter" which would have probably sent me to a phishing website or inject some kind of malaware in my system. I tried asking a couple of company-specific questions to the lady, to which I didn't receive any answer whatsoever, other than "we'll proceed when you received your employment letter okay", I tried asking further questions about said letter, and didn't receive any response whatsoever. I gave her the benefit of the doubt...but got ignored.

I proceeded to report the whole thing and her contact info to the FBI Fraud Team, to the real **Edited for Community Guidelines** company via the "contact us", and here on Upwork aswell.

Altough I'm now worried about them using any of the personal info I gave out (altough no financial info or ID was shared) in some kind of shady way, and have to warn my professional references about that aswell. Overall I'm feeling really really down with the whole thing, I'm kinda new on the freelancing field and that was a really really depressing experience. Knowing that there's people out there going so low...and probably making a living out of it...it's disgusting.

Hope this helps other (probably un-experienced as me) freelancers spot those fakes and save them a headache.

Davide

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 12

Hi Davide,

Thanks for reporting. I checked and the team has already removed the job and the client from the platform.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Davide O Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
3 of 12

Thanks for taking the time to edit the post up...I am really upset at the moment and couldn't be bothered with obscuring names etc. Thanks again!

Davide

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 12

Davide, any job posting looking for large numbers of freelancers is probably a scam.  Don't even bother with them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
5 of 12
No need to feel depressed Davide, I think you handled it very well. A lot of people actually fell for similar scans and some even were in trouble with the police because of bad cheques.

I am new here myself and my very first job was also a disaster (not a scam but a cheap client plus me being too eager to get a first job on Upwork) I understand how upset you might feel but when it's all passed you'll realize you've learned a lot and you have a better idea of what to look for and how to handle the platform better.
don't let it discourage you.
Highlighted
Schultz V Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
6 of 12

I had to create an account in my dog's name to post this message. My husband is a physician and someone is impersonating him on Upwork. A member of this group was kind enough to notify us about this because the imposter is coming off like an idiot and obviously not my husband. What can be done to remove this bogus account?  
Thank you,

Schultz

Highlighted
7 of 12

Hi Schultz,

Could you please click on my name next to this post and send me a private message with more details such as the link to a profile you are referring to?

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Schultz V Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
8 of 12

I have replied to you via private message. Please remove this bogus profile immediately.

Thank you! 

Highlighted
9 of 12

Hi Schultz,

Thanks for following up with me. We've already taken actions on that profile.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Briana B Member Since: May 23, 2020
10 of 12

The exact same thing happened to me, unfortunately.  I had a male contact me through upwork that sent me to another male on skype. Then, precisely the same thing happned.  

I was so new to this platform and didnt know disgusting people were actually doing things like this.  I still havent reported here. I need to but dont know how!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS