cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM: Client asked to buy / get my Upwork account

Highlighted
Franco D Member Since: Jan 8, 2018
1 of 41

Briefly, I've been asked by a new possible client to start talking via skype about the job. When using Skype, after a few normal questions ("Are you unemployed now?", "Are you new freelancer?") he asked "Can you sell or lend your Upwork account to me?" and then he clarified that his proposal wasn't even related to the job title. I obviously declined.

So he has wasted my time and I think I've been also exposed to risk. What should I do next? Who I may inform of this suspicious behaviour? Also his Skype account is by most suspicious (who's Id would be **Edited for Community Guidelines** as it's name?!?!)

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 41

Hi Franco,

Did this conversation start with an invitation or proposal on Upwork? If so, could you please send me a private message (click on my name next to this post) with a link to the original job post?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Franco D Member Since: Jan 8, 2018
3 of 41

Hi Valeria, yes, the proposal and invitation started on Upwork. I'm trying to send you a private message but after clicking the "Message" button, the site redirects me to a page displaying this message:

"You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue."

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 41

Sorry about that, Franco. I just send you a private message. Could you please see if you could reply to it?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Gerald S Member Since: Apr 1, 2018
5 of 41

Valeria,

I sent you more information regarding a client that exibits that same conversation outside of upwork.

Alen K Member Since: Oct 31, 2018
6 of 41

Hi Valeria,

Can you send me also private message? I just had a situation and offer from scammer.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
7 of 41

Hi Alen, 

Please click on my name and send me PM with information about the situation you are referring to, please include links and screenshots, and I will share those with our team for further investigation. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Maya E Member Since: Mar 22, 2019
8 of 41

I had a suspicious experience with this supposed client. He asked me to send him an email to a certain email address (details in the attached screenshot). Since I sent him the email, he has been asking me to share my Upwork profile, and from different email addresses.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 41

Maya E wrote:
I had a suspicious experience with this supposed client. He asked me to send him an email to a certain email address (details in the attached screenshot). Since I sent him the email, he has been asking me to share my Upwork profile, and from different email addresses.

From the screenshot I would bet they want Amazon reviews and that is why they are going outside the platform. They will probably pay via the platform but because any and all Amazon reviews for payment are stictly forbidden by Amazon (who have already taken over 1000 freelancers to court) such jobs are also forbidden on Upwork. And yes, it does not matter if the product review is honest. It is not allowed.

Mitchell G Member Since: Jan 6, 2019
10 of 41
Some guy from SWEDEN found me on Fiverr. He wanted to hire me. He told me to set up an Upwork account. We spoke on Skype today. He said his account was terminated. He said that if he can use my USA account, he'll pay me $100USD per month and more if they're profitable. Is this a scam? Why can't they set up their own accounts?
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS