cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SCAM: Client asked to buy / get my Upwork account

Community Leader
Kristo H Member Since: May 6, 2017
21 of 41

I would advice following up with Valeria on this. Just I want to say that people have been selling FaceBook accounts as high as 500USD online. Of course that is nonsense, because those accounts would not live a long time either.

But, that being said, there are a lot of scams around. Asking for a Skipe call is one of the indicators pointing towards that. If they do, challenge them. If they are serious, they will come back, if not, then jjust forget it and report accordingly.

I have seen here not only skipe requsters, but recently one asked for copies of ID¨s at the time of interview. That is completely no-no. My advice for freelancers, do not be afraid to say no. Most likely that is the best option. If not, they will come back and then you can fix. Anyway, for a successful freelancing or any business, one of the key skills to learn is to say "no".

Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
22 of 41

I had exactly same experience.  Skype interview - use of Upwork account and blah blah blah.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
23 of 41

@Kristo H wrote:

Asking for a Skipe call is one of the indicators pointing towards that. 

Asking for a Skype call is not indicative of a scam. If anything, it's a prudent way to screen clients *before* the contract is opened.

Personally, I would never do business with any party I have not spoken to. Should I be so unlucky as to encounter a scammer, I'd much rather find out before a contract is opened and getting embroiled in an account suspension nightmare, even if the suspension was only temporary and my account is cleared during the Upwork investigation.

Scammers permeate the Internet and have since the heydays of AOL and Yahoo. Before that, it was multi-level marketing spread through classified ads in the back of magazines. Before that, it was leaflets advertising snake oil and tonics posted outside the local saloon. Before that, shysters were shaving slivers off their gold coins and smelting them back together.

Scammers have always been around. They're always going to be around. The medium of communication is irrelevant. 

Kenneth B Member Since: May 31, 2018
24 of 41

This just happened to me as well.  5/31/18.  I was on Freelancer.com and was asked to go to skype.  Thought that we were going to discuss the job I was bidding for, however, this person started messaging me about buying and using my upwork account and then paying me etc.  Unreal. 

Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
25 of 41

Hi Kenneth,

I'm sorry to hear that. You can send me a PM with a link to the client's job posting as well as any screenshot relevant to their request for about buying your profile, and I'll be sure to have the team review it and take actions.

~Nina
Untitled
Dominique H Member Since: Aug 10, 2018
26 of 41

Hey Nina, 

I have been contacted thorugh Skype by supposed "employers" on upwork. They are fofering to buy my account and telling me it's no risk as they will be able to use it simultaneously. 

Of course, I am declining the offer. 

Help? 

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
27 of 41

Hi Dominique,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.  Could you please click on my name and send me a private message with more information and a screenshot of their communication with your, and I will share this with our team for future investigation? For more advice, please check the safety tips we compiled here.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Bruce P Member Since: Jun 8, 2018
28 of 41

Same thing just happened to me. Contacted through Freelancer.com. He asked if he could buy my Upwork account and I told him I would sell it for $250,000. He asked if I was serious, and I told him the price would go up if he didn't send the money quickly. He asked for my Paypal account, and I told him I wanted to use Escrow.com. He eventually realized I was just messing with him and he stopped responding to my Skype.

Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
29 of 41

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for reporting this here. Would you mind sending me the job post link or the client's name via PM so I can help you out? To send me a PM, simply click my name above and then you'll see a message button in my Community Profile. Thank you!

Untitled
Viktor V Member Since: Jul 18, 2018
30 of 41

Hi everyone.

Today I had a conversation with one man in LinkedIn and he was asking to sell accounts in upwork.

As I did not had one I registered and said to him that it is very easy to register a new account. 

So, my questions:

1) Why does they are asking to sell it?

2) Why they do not want to create new accounts?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS