cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SCAM: Client asked to buy / get my Upwork account

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
11 of 41

This guy probably lost his account  for violating the TOS.  DON'T DO IT. You will lose your account permanently if you get caught.

Jamey L Member Since: Jan 30, 2019
12 of 41

This just happened to me today. I didn't do it.

William W Member Since: Jun 24, 2019
13 of 41
I just got one too. He contacted me on Fiverr. Said he was from Japan but he had a Chinese name. I speak Japanese so I replied in Japanese and he said he actually lives in Russia. I spoke to him on Google Hangouts and I couldn’t pick up his accent. He asked me to open an account for him for the same thing, $100 a month.
I told him I would call him back tomorrow.
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
14 of 41

Hi William,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll gladly share it with our team for further investigation. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
David P Member Since: Oct 29, 2018
15 of 41

Hi, I had the same problem, what is this? the guy asked to use my computer remotely

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 41

@ Jesper and David

First of all you report these scammers to Upwork (that is, if you don't want your own accounts suspended) and then you take a little time (no matter how qualified you are) to read everything there is to know about the site.

Scammers are everywhere not just on Upwork, who does what it can to zap them. Acquiring a little knowledge on how they operate should be part of a freelancer's arsenal. Upwork gives a few pointers - Google gives a zillion ... 

IMO Upwork does not do enough to zap the i****s who are too needy or greedy to recognize the danger signals and who are "tempted" to fall for fraudulent deals. 

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
17 of 41

Hi David,

Could you please click on my name and send me a private message with more information, screenshots of communication or links, and I'll share those with our team for further investigation. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Diego Alejandro P Member Since: May 29, 2019
18 of 41

I received this message by LinkedIn. It is obvious a SCAM. I share with you for your knowledge.  

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
19 of 41

Hi Diego, 

Are you able to send me a private message with this user's LinkedIn account so that I can look into this further? Let me know!

-Avery
Untitled
Baltaru L Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
20 of 41

Just happend to me too.

Some russian guy from Canada as he says. It smells like SCAM from a block away.

Be aware, people... If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is Smiley Happy

And almost always scammers start with messages like "You will do a one time - one day job and earn money every month".

Seriously?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS