Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SCAM: Client asked to buy / get my Upwork account

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
11 of 37

This guy probably lost his account  for violating the TOS.  DON'T DO IT. You will lose your account permanently if you get caught.

Jamey L Member Since: Jan 30, 2019
12 of 37

This just happened to me today. I didn't do it.

David P Member Since: Oct 29, 2018
13 of 37

Hi, I had the same problem, what is this? the guy asked to use my computer remotely

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
14 of 37

@ Jesper and David

First of all you report these scammers to Upwork (that is, if you don't want your own accounts suspended) and then you take a little time (no matter how qualified you are) to read everything there is to know about the site.

Scammers are everywhere not just on Upwork, who does what it can to zap them. Acquiring a little knowledge on how they operate should be part of a freelancer's arsenal. Upwork gives a few pointers - Google gives a zillion ... 

IMO Upwork does not do enough to zap the i****s who are too needy or greedy to recognize the danger signals and who are "tempted" to fall for fraudulent deals. 

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
15 of 37

Hi David,

Could you please click on my name and send me a private message with more information, screenshots of communication or links, and I'll share those with our team for further investigation. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Baltaru L Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
16 of 37

Just happend to me too.

Some russian guy from Canada as he says. It smells like SCAM from a block away.

Be aware, people... If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is Smiley Happy

And almost always scammers start with messages like "You will do a one time - one day job and earn money every month".

Seriously?

Community Leader
Kristo H Member Since: May 6, 2017
17 of 37

I would advice following up with Valeria on this. Just I want to say that people have been selling FaceBook accounts as high as 500USD online. Of course that is nonsense, because those accounts would not live a long time either.

But, that being said, there are a lot of scams around. Asking for a Skipe call is one of the indicators pointing towards that. If they do, challenge them. If they are serious, they will come back, if not, then jjust forget it and report accordingly.

I have seen here not only skipe requsters, but recently one asked for copies of ID¨s at the time of interview. That is completely no-no. My advice for freelancers, do not be afraid to say no. Most likely that is the best option. If not, they will come back and then you can fix. Anyway, for a successful freelancing or any business, one of the key skills to learn is to say "no".

Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
18 of 37

I had exactly same experience.  Skype interview - use of Upwork account and blah blah blah.

Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
19 of 37

@Kristo H wrote:

Asking for a Skipe call is one of the indicators pointing towards that. 

Asking for a Skype call is not indicative of a scam. If anything, it's a prudent way to screen clients *before* the contract is opened.

Personally, I would never do business with any party I have not spoken to. Should I be so unlucky as to encounter a scammer, I'd much rather find out before a contract is opened and getting embroiled in an account suspension nightmare, even if the suspension was only temporary and my account is cleared during the Upwork investigation.

Scammers permeate the Internet and have since the heydays of AOL and Yahoo. Before that, it was multi-level marketing spread through classified ads in the back of magazines. Before that, it was leaflets advertising snake oil and tonics posted outside the local saloon. Before that, shysters were shaving slivers off their gold coins and smelting them back together.

Scammers have always been around. They're always going to be around. The medium of communication is irrelevant. 

Kenneth B Member Since: May 31, 2018
20 of 37

This just happened to me as well.  5/31/18.  I was on Freelancer.com and was asked to go to skype.  Thought that we were going to discuss the job I was bidding for, however, this person started messaging me about buying and using my upwork account and then paying me etc.  Unreal. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS