Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM: Client asked to buy / get my Upwork account

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
41 of 44

@Franco D wrote:

Briefly, I've been asked by a new possible client to start talking via skype about the job. When using Skype, after a few normal questions ("Are you unemployed now?", "Are you new freelancer?") he asked "Can you sell or lend your Upwork account to me?" and then he clarified that his proposal wasn't even related to the job title. I obviously declined.

So he has wasted my time and I think I've been also exposed to risk. What should I do next? Who I may inform of this suspicious behaviour? Also his Skype account is by most suspicious (who's Id would be **Edited for Community Guidelines** as it's name?!?!)

you should flag the original job offer for violation, you can add a comment there, too.

Ivan C Member Since: Apr 17, 2019
42 of 44

I just received the same offer today from another platform. This guy is giving me a google doc with proposal detail. He claimed that he has a proven track record of success in upwork but he can’t open an account due to his location outside of the states. He provided me email and Skype link.

Mario J. R Member Since: Aug 7, 2019
43 of 44

I just got off a skype phone call with someone from Japan who did the same thing to me, but found me through Fiverr. I declined the offer and it seemed sketchy!

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
44 of 44

Hi Mario, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience. You can share more information with me through a private message so that I can look into this further. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS