Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM: Client asked to buy / get my Upwork account

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
21 of 54

Hi Diego, 

Are you able to send me a private message with this user's LinkedIn account so that I can look into this further? Let me know!

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Dyalon W Member Since: Sep 22, 2020
22 of 54

Hi,

I got a similar offer from someone today from Hong Kong, asking for my work email ID. I declined and suggested a phone call on my personal phone, but now I don't know what to do.

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
23 of 54

Hi Dyalon,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report so that I can escalate it accordingly? 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Baltaru L Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
24 of 54

Just happend to me too.

Some russian guy from Canada as he says. It smells like SCAM from a block away.

Be aware, people... If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is Smiley Happy

And almost always scammers start with messages like "You will do a one time - one day job and earn money every month".

Seriously?

Highlighted
Peter K Member Since: Jul 28, 2020
25 of 54

I have also had this problem as of today. Hoping to share details to prevent this in the future. How do I go about reporting it?

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
26 of 54

Hi Peter,

Could you please send me a PM with more information so I can look into this for you. You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Kristo H Member Since: May 6, 2017
27 of 54

I would advice following up with Valeria on this. Just I want to say that people have been selling FaceBook accounts as high as 500USD online. Of course that is nonsense, because those accounts would not live a long time either.

But, that being said, there are a lot of scams around. Asking for a Skipe call is one of the indicators pointing towards that. If they do, challenge them. If they are serious, they will come back, if not, then jjust forget it and report accordingly.

I have seen here not only skipe requsters, but recently one asked for copies of ID¨s at the time of interview. That is completely no-no. My advice for freelancers, do not be afraid to say no. Most likely that is the best option. If not, they will come back and then you can fix. Anyway, for a successful freelancing or any business, one of the key skills to learn is to say "no".

Highlighted
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
28 of 54

I had exactly same experience.  Skype interview - use of Upwork account and blah blah blah.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
29 of 54

@Kristo H wrote:

Asking for a Skipe call is one of the indicators pointing towards that. 

Asking for a Skype call is not indicative of a scam. If anything, it's a prudent way to screen clients *before* the contract is opened.

Personally, I would never do business with any party I have not spoken to. Should I be so unlucky as to encounter a scammer, I'd much rather find out before a contract is opened and getting embroiled in an account suspension nightmare, even if the suspension was only temporary and my account is cleared during the Upwork investigation.

Scammers permeate the Internet and have since the heydays of AOL and Yahoo. Before that, it was multi-level marketing spread through classified ads in the back of magazines. Before that, it was leaflets advertising snake oil and tonics posted outside the local saloon. Before that, shysters were shaving slivers off their gold coins and smelting them back together.

Scammers have always been around. They're always going to be around. The medium of communication is irrelevant. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
30 of 54

I know a company, with 200 highly qualified engineers/developers, who make nothing but high quality fake Facebook accounts. They sell even higher, around $1000 per account. The purpose of them is to buy ads advertising stuff that Facebook won't normally allow to advertise. They work. Usually someone can spend about $20K buying ads from that account before it is banned, so it adds only 5% to the cost.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS