cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM: Client asked to buy / get my Upwork account

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
31 of 39

Hi Kaleb,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you have more details about this or screenshots of messages please send me the private message with more details and I will share those with our team for further investigation!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Jesper D Member Since: Sep 17, 2018
32 of 39

The same thing happened to me - an otherwise unknown person added me on Skype and offered a monthly fee to "lend" my Upwork account. Tempting offer, but ultimately I thought it best to refuse.

Evgeniya Z Member Since: Aug 28, 2017
33 of 39

Hey!

I have the same situation today. One guy asked my account on upwork, I said "no". 

Should I do anything else about it?

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
34 of 39

@Evgeniya Z wrote:

Hey!

I have the same situation today. One guy asked my account on upwork, I said "no". 

Should I do anything else about it?

yes, flag the job posting. You will help to get this person removed. 

Omar M Member Since: Nov 22, 2018
35 of 39

I just had the same problem; A guy on LinkedIn contacted me and then the conversation moved to Skype. Happy to share with you some details (I tried to send you a message but looks like that I don't have enough permissions)

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
36 of 39

Hi Omar,

I've sent you a private message. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
Community Guru
37 of 39

@Gerald S wrote:

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Job Invitation then brief chat on Upwork then skype. After going round and round about how good of a designer I am I was asked a personal question: Can you find me an American Freelancer to sell me their account. I have notified Upwork, Flagged posting (has since been removed from the system) and have messaged several Moderators and Support regarding this individual.

So, it seems, I am missing something. What kind of mischief can be done with a freelancer's account? I'm at a loss. Please enlighten me. I mean, except accepting jobs and running away with the escrow money... but that seems small fry...

Community Guru
38 of 39

@Franco D wrote:

Briefly, I've been asked by a new possible client to start talking via skype about the job. When using Skype, after a few normal questions ("Are you unemployed now?", "Are you new freelancer?") he asked "Can you sell or lend your Upwork account to me?" and then he clarified that his proposal wasn't even related to the job title. I obviously declined.

So he has wasted my time and I think I've been also exposed to risk. What should I do next? Who I may inform of this suspicious behaviour? Also his Skype account is by most suspicious (who's Id would be **Edited for Community Guidelines** as it's name?!?!)

you should flag the original job offer for violation, you can add a comment there, too.

Ivan C Member Since: Apr 17, 2019
39 of 39

I just received the same offer today from another platform. This guy is giving me a google doc with proposal detail. He claimed that he has a proven track record of success in upwork but he can’t open an account due to his location outside of the states. He provided me email and Skype link.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS