cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM: Client asked to buy / get my Upwork account

Viktor V Member Since: Jul 18, 2018
31 of 44

Hi everyone.

Today I had a conversation with one man in LinkedIn and he was asking to sell accounts in upwork.

As I did not had one I registered and said to him that it is very easy to register a new account. 

So, my questions:

1) Why does they are asking to sell it?

2) Why they do not want to create new accounts?

Community Guru
Gerald S Member Since: Apr 1, 2018
32 of 44

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Job Invitation then brief chat on Upwork then skype. After going round and round about how good of a designer I am I was asked a personal question: Can you find me an American Freelancer to sell me their account. I have notified Upwork, Flagged posting (has since been removed from the system) and have messaged several Moderators and Support regarding this individual.

Kaleb K Member Since: Sep 11, 2018
33 of 44
Just had someone ask to borrow my profile for $300 a month who initially contacted me through LinkedIn and then held the conversation over Slack.
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
34 of 44

Hi Kaleb,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you have more details about this or screenshots of messages please send me the private message with more details and I will share those with our team for further investigation!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Jesper D Member Since: Sep 17, 2018
35 of 44

The same thing happened to me - an otherwise unknown person added me on Skype and offered a monthly fee to "lend" my Upwork account. Tempting offer, but ultimately I thought it best to refuse.

Evgeniya Z Member Since: Aug 28, 2017
36 of 44

Hey!

I have the same situation today. One guy asked my account on upwork, I said "no". 

Should I do anything else about it?

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
37 of 44

@Evgeniya Z wrote:

Hey!

I have the same situation today. One guy asked my account on upwork, I said "no". 

Should I do anything else about it?

yes, flag the job posting. You will help to get this person removed. 

Omar M Member Since: Nov 22, 2018
38 of 44

I just had the same problem; A guy on LinkedIn contacted me and then the conversation moved to Skype. Happy to share with you some details (I tried to send you a message but looks like that I don't have enough permissions)

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
39 of 44

Hi Omar,

I've sent you a private message. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
40 of 44

@Gerald S wrote:

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Job Invitation then brief chat on Upwork then skype. After going round and round about how good of a designer I am I was asked a personal question: Can you find me an American Freelancer to sell me their account. I have notified Upwork, Flagged posting (has since been removed from the system) and have messaged several Moderators and Support regarding this individual.

So, it seems, I am missing something. What kind of mischief can be done with a freelancer's account? I'm at a loss. Please enlighten me. I mean, except accepting jobs and running away with the escrow money... but that seems small fry...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS