cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SCAM JOB IN UPWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nellie89
Nelly R Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
1 of 21

Do not work for this job posting 100% SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!! HE SCAMMED ME FOR 100,000 ENTRIES DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS JOB THIS IS ALSO THE WEBSITE THAT HE WILL ASK YOU TO DO THE JOB AND WILL NEVER EVER GET PAID!!!!!!!!! 

nellie89
Nelly R Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
2 of 21

WHEN I WAS WORKING ON ELANCE. THAT IS WHY I DECIDED TO ONLY WORK HERE! DO NOT LET THIS PERSON TO SCAMMED YOU PEOPLE IS THE SAME NAME WEB EVERYTHING BELIEVE ME!

liliath_p
Ace Contributor
Liliath P Member Since: Apr 16, 2016
3 of 21

Your post seems like spam too... just saying

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 21

Hi Nelly,

I see the client you communicated with was already removed by our team from the platform for violating Upwork ToS. Thanks for the heads-up and please review our tips for recognizing questionable jobs.

Untitled
gretchnola
Gretchen B Member Since: Nov 10, 2016
5 of 21

I am sorry but I don't see what Job you are talking about.  I think I am being scammed with a job invite on this site.  I have only been on here for a month.  Sent in proposals, have had no responses.  I got a message about a job that was posted recently.  Not even sure I did a proposal for it.  Had and interview on Google Hangouts, emails and messages here on Upwork all from different people.  Claiming it would be working for a Clinic in Hawaii.  It is really starting to all seem wrong.  They are suppose to send a check for start up for my home office.  At first I got excited about it and started the process, I have only given them my address of my office, not my home.  The more I thought about it afterwards it does not seem ligit.  They sent me a tracking number and package went to a whole other state then where I am. 

What do I do at this point? Just ignore them?  Decline the position.  I was not going to do anything until I checked it all out.   The Clinic in Hawaii seems like a real clinic.  But the email addresses they have used are only google accounts and they have an email for their job opportunities that is part of their website.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 21

Gretchen: it is a scam. As soon as the client who invited you mentioned Google Hangouts, I knew it was a scam.

Next time you see those two words, stop communicating with the "client" immediately and block them. Move on.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
7 of 21

The clinic in Hawaii is indeed real. The scammers have no connection to the clinic. They copied the name of the clinic and some personnel off of the Internet. They fed those names to you. And you fell for their trick because you are a newbie. That is one of the main tricks the scammers use: Google.

Next time, don't Google their names. You made a mistake when you googled those names and you fell right into to their trap.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 21

Hi Gretchen,

Offering payments outside of Upwork via a check or any other means, is not only a serious violation of Upwork Terms of Service but also something that a lot of scammers do. I see that the job and the client account you are referring to have already been removed from the platform and your interview was archived. Please, do not continue communicating with them. 

Check this list of useful resources for new freelancers and especially this post about staying safe on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Upwork
alexandra1402
Ace Contributor
Alexandra B Member Since: Jul 26, 2016
9 of 21

On this note, I've caught and just reported another individual requesting to work and pay outside the platform. I have emails from him to prove my accusations if needed. His name on Upwork is **Edited for Community Guidelines** and the email he forwards to applicants is **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I so wish these people would stop wasting my time and connects...

Someone please make sure this individual and his 4 job posts are delisted!

Thank you!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
10 of 21

Alexandra:

I know that your intentions are pure, but for future reference, it is not acceptable to name clients or post email email addresses as you have done in your post. It is a violation of Forum rules.

You may indeed discuss the behavior of clients or scammers. You may describe in detail what the situation is, what they have done, etc..

But no names, please.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS