Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM JOB IN UPWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alexandra1402
Ace Contributor
Alexandra B Member Since: Jul 26, 2016
11 of 21

I am sorry for my mistake! It was not intentional and I admit to not having read this part in the forum rules!

lynn_king
Lynn K Member Since: Jul 9, 2017
12 of 21

Hi,

I am not sure why this policy is in place.

I understand the need to protect people. (Innocent until proven otherwise and all that) but if the said scammers are actually proven to be scammers, why not warn the the hardworking honest Upwork community and post their email addresses and user names.

It seems this policy only protects the violators and does not give any recourse to those being violated. It certainly does nothing to protect the unsuspecting Upwork community.

It seems Upwork makes it easier for scammers to work in this environment.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 21

@Lynn K wrote:

Hi,

I am not sure why this policy is in place.

I understand the need to protect people. (Innocent until proven otherwise and all that) but if the said scammers are actually proven to be scammers, why not warn the the hardworking honest Upwork community and post their email addresses and user names.

Because the names are real, the companies are real and the scammers only use them. So innocent people and innocent companies are being publicly named as scammers which is not only grossly unfair, it could result in trouble for Upwork.

You don't honestly think those scammers use their real names?

As far as "protecting the innocent" is concerned: If people agree to accept fake checks etc outside the platform they're not "innocent" - they've broken the terms of use.

Most of those scams are old as the hills and d*mb as ditchwater. If people fall for them they need to develop their ability to think critically before trying to work online.

lynn_king
Lynn K Member Since: Jul 9, 2017
14 of 21

Hi Petra,

No, I never thought scammers used their real names, but it also never occurred to me that scammers used real company names either. I just thought they used made up names. Then again, now that I think about it, I've had fake FedEx bills sent to my email.

I also just assumed, due to the warning about not accepting cheques outside of the system, that all payments had to go through Upwork's payment system regardless of origin. I never really considered that getting paid outside the system would be an option at all with Upwork's warning of being expelled for the infraction of the terms of use.

Anyway, all this is good to know.

Thank you for your help.

Lynn

gretchnola
Gretchen B Member Since: Nov 10, 2016
15 of 21

Like I said I have had 4 different types of communication with these people all by 3 different people.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I am very disappointed in myself for not seeing it for what it is.  Also, that this is what my first experience is like on this website.  I would really like to be able to do some of the work that is posted on here. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 21

Hi Alexandra,

I checked and actions have already been taken against the client account you are referring to.

~ Valeria
Upwork
gretchnola
17 of 21

I am sorry... I didn't realize I should not have put those email addresses.  I just want to warn others.

gretchnola
18 of 21

I guess because it was not for my work, it was for the start up I didn't think anything at first.  I plan to refuse the check when it is delivered here.  I am going to block these people now.  I am glad I have not lost out on anything.

I should have known better, now that I see I am not the only one this is happening I won't fall for it again.

I am a newbie that is for sure.  I was excited to land a job finally, I was blinded by that.

I am glad the post was removed.  I did flag it as inappropriate.

Thank you.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
19 of 21

Gretchen, agreeing to accept payment/ checks of any time off of the platform is a serious violation of the Terms of Service and could even get you suspended.  This is a  huge red flag and now you know!

saurabh301
Saurabh P Member Since: Dec 10, 2016
20 of 21

Ok, so this guy uses the same email ID but different name in Upwork to dupe sincere job seekers !!

So, is there a way that Upwork can track and check such kind of cheating activities over its platform? Or rasie a Red flag when the job giver asks the perspective job seeker to contact him or her in his personel email ID and trying to get rid of the Upwork platform in all the communications?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS