🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » SCAM OF JOB OPPORTUNITY POSTED ON UPWORK
Page options
ayesha-fawad
Community Member

SCAM OF JOB OPPORTUNITY POSTED ON UPWORK

i applied for job post on upwork last week it was a typing job like the work was to simple typing the images in to word document and save it in  a pdf format .They provided with me 10 images to be converted into pdf format .The deadline given to me was 3days .I started working on this and submitted them the project and the project was successfully compleeted and approved

now what happended with me was the payment

where it comes to payment they had asked me to pay some fees 

this is teh screenshot of the email that was sent to me 

i gave them the project but they did not pay me the fees 

let me tell you they did not ask for any fees before giving the project after i submiite dthe project to them then they asked for me the fees i did not have the 40$ to pay so they did not pay me my payment

what should be my mode of action against them 

this was the person who gave me the job i have attached screenshot his username as belows

can anyone help me with them now i want my paymnet and tehy are not releasing my payment Upwrok should do something for this please someone help me with this 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Ayesha,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please know that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. You should never get paid or pay someone outside of Upwork. You may open yourself up to scams or fraud, and lose Upwork Payment Protection. 

Sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, you can find more information about staying safe on Upwork in this thread and in this help article.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
NikolaS

Hi Ayesha,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please know that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. You should never get paid or pay someone outside of Upwork. You may open yourself up to scams or fraud, and lose Upwork Payment Protection. 

Sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, you can find more information about staying safe on Upwork in this thread and in this help article.

~ Nikola
Upwork
pgiambalvo
Community Member

It was a scam and you will not get paid.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

This wasn't a real job. They never intended to use the work you did for anything. They don't need it. They don't care how well you do it. It doesn't matter. It is not about the work you did, for the scammers it's about waiting until you send it to hit you up for money. You could have sent your childhood drawings. They wouldn't have noticed, thanked you and asked you to pay a fee. 

Forget about getting any money from scammers. They don't pay. 

25851d9c
Community Member

I applied for a similiar typing job and was asked to be interviewed via telegram. I got skeptical because the payment is too high and unrealistic for a typing job. Also their username in telegram is different from who they introuduce themselves. Also I asked to have the job offer via upwork but they declined. They also does not want to do the payment transaction via upwork so I declined the offer. I am just worried because I submitted my resume and I'm afraid they might use my information if it's really a scam.

As soon as the client wants you to go outside Upwork, it is a scam. Not only will you lose time and money, but you can also lose your Upwork account because it violates the Terms of Service. You need not look at names or anything else. Communicating outside of Upwork is forbidden until a contract is in place.

If you submit your resume online, the information is out there. A client would see your information. I wouldn't worry about it.

Because you are new, you must learn about the rules and scams. Read the Terms of Service and everything you can about how to work through Upwork. No one will protect you from scams, including Upwork. Then read this from Wes: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Read everything BEFORE applying for another job. As a virtual assistant and being new, you need to fill out your profile and add a portfolio. Anything you can do to make yourself appear to be a savvy freelancer will help.

c4e453ac
Community Member

Look at all the wasted energy here.  This could have been avoided. The moment the scammers sends a Telegram URL or anything resembling such a URL (obfuscated), the job is nuked, the scammer banned - automatically.  The freelancer loses no time on their part, their connects returned. No legit hirer is going to send Telegram links (not pre-contract!). 

6f2d0260
Community Member

Ayesha Ayesha...

See my screenshot pic. this guys directed me to telegram and gave me a 130 pages of translation project. I did happily within 2 days. then he asked me to send him $200 to process the payment. I denied to pay him. after exchanging a few text, he asked me to give him $50. I still denied.... 

see his last message in the screen shot..

thats how fraud works..if we dont pay, they will ask our upwork detail and find a way to ban us.

It already happen to me in freelaner.com and I can't use that platform anymore.

If frauds pay us, then we can earn $1000K per day but sadly it's sooo 'untrue'

best part being new here (for me), i have lots of free time to chat with frauds in telegram xD...

nothing else to do,  seems like Genuine clients hardly see my proposal..

I am a New freelancer in upwork platform...and being a newbie here, it's very hard to get client (dont know about you). 

from my many many many experience in freelancing, all I can say is ignore:

# payment unverified client

hope it will be helpfull to you (or anymore)

with regards

Toshi

and please someone accept my proposal 😞 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

192bf7c2
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share the same experience. I applied for a typing job in UpWork and they have an estimated budget of $120. Then they have asked me to DM someone in Telegram in which I did. But when the person in Telegram said that I would be paid 3820 pounds, I got skeptical already. But I continue in conversing with them and inquire if I need to pay anything, they said yes and I need to pay for ACH Creation process. I don't know what that is. So I turn the offer down. '

Maybe for us freelancers, we also need to be cautious on the jobs we apply.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members