🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » SCAM
Page options
mmarques24
Community Member

SCAM

A client asked to talk to me via Google Hangout. As the client started talking I searched for him on Linkedin and didn't find anything and thought that the whole thing was weird. Then I blocked and stopped talking to the person, also reported the job to be a scam on Upwork. But the thing is apparently this people are interviewing other people that might not think that it's a scam, how quick can Upwork cancel this job post? Should I post it here?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

This is a scam that has been around for a long time.

Click on the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right hand corner of the job posting. Report it there.

re: "how quick can Upwork cancel this job post?"

That is up to Upwork. The important thing is that you didn't fall for it. Upwork often removes these jobs in a very short amount of time. Sometimes within hours. Don't waste your time trying to check up on the job. You may be able to view the job through an existing link you have, even after Upwork removes the job from the platform.

re: "Should I post it here?"

You have already posted it here.

As a practical matter, you do NOT need to post anything about such scam jobs here in the Forum, now that you know how to report it with the "Flag as inappropriate" button.

There are plenty of threads already available which discuss this scam (and other scams) in detail. We will never be able to prevent all scammers, because there are so many freelancers who are eager to start working on Upwork and they start communicating with scammers or following the scammers' instructions without actually thinking things through, and without reading or understanding Upwork's rules or policies.

Fortunately YOU did not follow this scammer's instructions. The intention of this scam is to get you to send them about $3000 money out of your checking account. If this didn't actually work some of the time, then the scammers would go away.

As an entry-level newbie, you are unlikely to receive any legitimate offers from out of the blue. Focus only on jobs that you apply to after carefully selecting job postings that are appropriate for your skills and interests. (Plus: You live in the U.S., so you are the prime target for this fake check scam.)

If anyone sends you an invite and mentions Google Hangouts, you can ignore them or block them. Those are just scammers.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mariana, 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will share this with our team for future investigation and appropriate action will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content.

Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members