🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » ** SCAM?????
Page options
1b884508
Community Member

** SCAM?????

I just started with Upwork this week and my first connection was with someone that claims to be with **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I am to do some data entry for them, it will be a short term contract. They will send me a check to purchase a laptop from a local vendor (of their choice) that is connected to a vendor in their location. The reason behind this was so that upon completion of the contract, I can return the laptop. After thinking all of this through, my gut instinct is kicking in and is screaming SCAM! This morning they sent me a picture of a check (front & back) to deposit into my account so I can purchase the laptop. I just got off the phone with my bank and they too think it is a scam. Has anyone else worked with **Edited for Community Guidelines** and are they legit?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

2 REPLIES 2
colettelewis
Community Member

Chris E wrote:

I just started with Upwork this week and my first connection was with someone that claims to be with **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I am to do some data entry for them, it will be a short term contract. They will send me a check to purchase a laptop from a local vendor (of their choice) that is connected to a vendor in their location. The reason behind this was so that upon completion of the contract, I can return the laptop. After thinking all of this through, my gut instinct is kicking in and is screaming SCAM! This morning they sent me a picture of a check (front & back) to deposit into my account so I can purchase the laptop. I just got off the phone with my bank and they too think it is a scam. Has anyone else worked with **Edited for Community Guidelines** and are they legit?

Yes, it is a scam. Read  the ToS and this before you apply for any jobs.https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067578-Getting-Started 

It is also against the Upwork's ToS to provide any contact information before an official contract is in place. 
The scammers use the names of many different legit companies and target newcomers who do not find out more about the site before starting. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Chris:
You can't name company names like that here in the Forum.

And YOU should not be thinking about company names.

That is how the scammers trick newbies.

The scammers copy names of real companies off of the Internet and feed those names to newbies. As a newbie, you should only pay attention to the information you see on the Upwork site. You should not Google or otherwise search for information about the companies based on the names a "client" feeds to you. Remember that the scammers WANT you to Google those company names.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members