🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » SCAMS
Page options
solieldebella
Community Member

SCAMS

I  just wanted to announce it's pretty easy to catch these scammers. In administrative jobs, they are always quick to send you a contract, or give you a special interview, away from Upwork, to make it seem more legit. One scammer told me he worked for a cryptocurrency company, he told me he would send me money and I would buy currency and send to his clients. I told him I would only use Paypal, he was quick to say that he went over his amount of oversea transactions and had this money he needed to get done by this month. Take into account, how did he know he would find someone so quick? two. he said he was in Dubai. I told him it was late here, he said it was midnight there. I checked...it wasn't he was so lazy he didn't think I would do that. It was 3AM not midnight. I also found him on the internet under a different cryptocurrency company he didn't mention and a red flag was that his website not only DID NOT start with https// but if you go to the bottom of a website it states how long that website has been there. His 2020. So it's brand new, that's a red flag!. Not that a company can't be new but it's not a plus. Needless to say, I ended it real quick. Do not take deposits into your back account. The check will not clear and YOU will have to pay the money they got away with. Anything that has to do with them sending you money to pay for your "equipment' or pay you in general, or help you set up your work is something you run from. Now I also looked up this guys site and on it, were two CEO's, common sense would tell you that if he needed to pay clients so badly, that his own team would help. Why would a stranger be so willing to send me his banking info? He even showed me his D.L. to make me feel more at ease. I did my homework and I think it was legit, but the job was being a money mule. He would use my info to launder his money. The pay was also too good for someone who doesn't even know if I can carry out the job. Never be afraid to be in charge, ask questions and whatever you do. Do your homework. Google EVERYTHING and never ever involve your bank account for any reason, or you are asking to be scammed. 

3 REPLIES 3
JoanneP

Hi Shelly,

If you see a job or invitation that looks suspicious or inappropriate, you can flag it using the flagging option found on every job post or Upwork profile. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You can also send me a PM with the link to this job post including a screenshot, and I will share it with our team. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shelly,

In addition to the information Joanne provided, I'd like to ask you to click on my name and send me a private message with more information about the conversation and request you mentioned receiving. I'd like to take a closer look and investigate the case further. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Shelly G wrote:

One scammer told me he worked for a cryptocurrency company, he told me he would send me money and I would buy currency and send to his clients. I told him I would only use Paypal

Do your homework. Google EVERYTHING and never ever involve your bank account for any reason, or you are asking to be scammed. 

Or, alternatively, read the terms of service which say that you can never, ever, accept any money in any form from any client directly (unless it's been 2 years since you met them on the platform), and must not communicate with any client outside the platform until an Upwork contract is in place.

That way you avoid getting your account suspended and stop encouraging scammers.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths