🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: THE Secrets to Growing Your Upwork Sales
Page options
williamtcooper
Community Member

SECRETS to Growing Your Upwork Sales

I have been using Upwork for the last six years and have completed 480 Jobs and Earned $1,000,000 with 5-Star Reviews as a Marketing Sales Artificial Intelligence expert.

Upwork has changed their algorithm in 2023 and it's necessary to update your strategies accordingly especially if you want Invites and new clients. I had to change my strategy also and now received 200 Invites / Talent Scouts / Consultations in the first two months of 2023.

PROFILE: Always complete your Upwork Profile before applying for Jobs. Create a synergized Title, Summary, and Skills to apply for Jobs to match what Clients are searching for. Focus on two of the Skill keywords in the Title to emphasize what you bring to the table for the Client. Create 4 short paragraphs in the Summary. If the Summary is too long, most Clients will not read the rest of the Summary; too short then there isn't enough information for a Client to hire. The first two sentences of the Summary are the most important because they are visible to the client as they search for a freelancer. Use all 15 Skills IF they apply. The Skills are used to assist a Client in locating your Profile via search. Add your Portfolio and always use a colorful image. Consider adding a Project Catalog if it applies. Use a short sentence description for each Employment entry. By the way, it goes without saying make sure that your Profile Settings are on Public not Private so others can view the Profile.

COVER LETTER: Create a flexible cover letter that is less than 100 words. Long cover letters rarely get read, but instead are ignored. Break the cover letter into four sections. Section 1 : Acknowledge the job that you are applying for such as "Looking forward to discussing your graphics design project". Section 2: Highlight your validations stamps IE skills that are brought to their project. Section 3 Explain how you will solve their problem and the final section request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

JOB SUBMISSIONS: Tips - Only apply to Jobs that you are highly qualified, don't Bid for the top 3 spots unless you are an exact match and have a high probability of getting the job, don't immediately apply for jobs, but instead wait at least a few hours so your bidding is more accurate, don't get into bidding wars because serious Clients will view most applicant's cover letters, don't apply for Jobs that have 20 - 50 applicants in less than 24 hours. If a Client gets 50 cover letters, there is only a 2% chance of being hired; bad odds. I set my freelancer sort to apply for jobs with less than 20 proposals.

OVER DELIVER: Always over-deliver based upon the Client's expectations. Do such outstanding work that the Client can't but help to give 5-Stars and a raving Review. Great Reviews have most Client's sold on hiring a Freelancer before even talking with them. I can't mention the number of Clients that started their interactions with me about how they couldn't wait to start working together on their project based upon my Reviews. After 320 Upwork Jobs, I have maintained 99% 5-Star Reviews and only 1% 4-Star Reviews which continues to draw in more clients.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Use your social media footprint to promote your Upwork Profile especially LinkedIn. Create a Post on LinkedIn highlighting your Upwork Profile containing a link back so prospects can review. Small businesses that I want to begin a business relationship with are better served on Upwork due to the Upwork's system and billing. I have 2.5 million very engaged LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter Followers. They are a great source to promote my profile on Upwork.

HELP OTHERS: Always uplift, encourage and love other users on Upwork. Remember everyone has to start somewhere as you did. Others helped you along the way, so assist users that have questions.

THANKS UPWORK: Thanks Upwork for being a blessing to me on this site and I hope to do so for others!

ENJOYED THE POST: Let me know with a message below. Everyone needs to be encouraged!

This is a recently written Post with Upwork's Financial Results and Forecasts for 2023 at:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/Upwork-s-Financial-Results-and-Forecasts-for-2023/m-p/1...

This is a recently written Post with the SECRETS to hiring freelancers on Upwork at:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/SECRETS-to-Growing-Your-Business-On-Upwork/m-p/1235553#M8984...

tech141.jpg

209 REPLIES 209
16d2a6c1
Community Member

Thank you for your valuable feed back 

Hey Farhan, you are most welcome! If you have any questions, let me know. Have a great day!

your feedback is the greatest support to new freelancers like me, thanks alot

Ahmed,

You are most welcome for the kind words! If you have any specific questions, please feel free to let me know Have an amazing day!

Is this how I get your free feedback?

Leonard,

Yes, do you have a specific question? Thanks!

How could I increase my number of clients who see my profile?

Kamar,

COVER LETTER: Create a flexible cover letter that is less than 100 words. Long cover letters rarely get read, but instead are ignored. Break the cover letter into four sections. Section 1 : Acknowledge the job that you are applying for such as "Looking forward to discussing your graphics design project". Section 2: Highlight your validations stamps IE skills that are brought to their project. Section 3 Explain how you will solve their problem and the final section request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

JOB SUBMISSIONS: Tips - Only apply to Jobs that you are highly qualified, don't Bid for the top 3 spots unless you are an exact match and have a high probability of getting the job, don't immediately apply for jobs, but instead wait at least a few hours so your bidding is more accurate, don't get into bidding wars because serious Clients will view most applicant's cover letters, don't apply for Jobs that have 20 - 50 applicants in less than 24 hours. If a Client gets 50 cover letters, there is only a 2% chance of being hired; bad odds. I set my freelancer sort to apply for jobs with less than 20 proposals.

IAM Arif laghari brother Yahan se kese earning Kar sakte he plz thore help kare mere men Karachi se ho 

Arif,

Please modify your Summary into four short paragrapsh with the first sentence the most important since that is what clients see in search. Use all 15 Skills IF they apply, add your Portfolio, and add a Project Catalog. Thanks!

2aee32ca
Community Member

Very valuable info - and I appreciate your response to my inquiry.  Your success is inspirational/aspirational for me.  Thanks for sharing!  

I'm bringing 25+ years in marketing and communications to my "encore" career as a freelance voiceover talent focused on corporate narration, eLearning, audiobooks, commercials, and more.  I'm trying to promote/market my prior experiences as being valuable for my new world.  Although it doesn't replace the need for established points of reference and success in voiceover, I'm hoping it creates some value in the mind of the client when considering... until I get that established foundation.  If you have any tips/advice based on that approach, I welcome them.  

Hey Mike, following the above instructions for Upwork work extremely well in my experience and is how I grew may sales on Upwork. LinkedIn should also be used. LinkedIn posts can be used to send business traffic back to your Upwork Profile. Have a great day!

166ed874
Community Member

Amazing Mr William. It will definaltly help the newbee like me. I have applied for 23 jobs and didnt received a single interview call.

Hey Muhammand, thank you so much for the positive feedback! If you have any specific questions beyond this post, please feel free to let me know here. Have a great day!

Muhammad,

Did you have the opportunity to start following the TIPS in the post? Any new questions? Have a wonderful day!

52e1487c
Community Member

Thanks to William T C for this brilliant information to get forst job on Upwork.

This will help new freelancers very well.

Thanks

Hey Muhammad, thanks for the postive comments! If you have any questions, let me know. Have an awesome day!

Sir, I need your help. Please guide me on that Can I use One id card for identity verification on two Upwork profiles if the first Upwork account goes suspended?

Waiting for your good reply. Thanks.

Hey Muhammad, please click the Get Support buttom on the bottom right of the screen because at the end of the day they are going to have to sort out this type of issue. Since a freelancer can only have 1 profile and there is a suspension, it will depend on if it was a permanant suspension is my best guess. Thanks!

83f17475
Community Member

Thanks! So informative. 

Abdikadir Ali

Hey Abdikadir, you are most welcome. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Have an great day!

0c5fd9ea
Community Member

As an epidemiologist, it is important to note that while the tips shared in this passage may be useful for freelancers on Upwork, they may not necessarily apply to the field of epidemiology. However, some of the principles mentioned, such as creating a comprehensive profile, providing accurate and relevant information, and delivering high-quality work, can be applied to my work as an epidemiologist. Additionally, building a professional network and collaborating with others in the field can also be beneficial in advancing my career, I am experiencing it at the moment as an epidemiologist. Additionally, importance maintaining a high-quality reputation and providing assistance to others in the field is also key to building a successful career as an epidemiologist.

Thank you for the useful, tips. 

Hey Ibrahim, thank for the postive feedback and if you have other questions, let me know. Have wonderful day!

6735bc63
Community Member

Thank you for your valuable feed back 

Hey Ahsan, thanks for your feedback and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. Have a great day!

Hey can you see and rate my profile anything I should do?

Hey Ahsan, nice Profile! To the degree possible, try to get a client Reviews on all Projects. Most of my new clients just read the Reviews and say that want to immediately hire. It makes obtaining new clients much easier. Have an awesome day!

brian176
Community Member

Thanks for sharing and I totally agreed with points 2 and 3.

Write short and straight-to-the-point proposals is the way to go 😄

Hey Binh, thanks for the feedback and I you have any questions or comments, let me know. Have an awesome day!

3f5d11b3
Community Member

Hello william , thank you for your valuable tips. Its very grateful to me. Thank you so much .

Hey Fathi, thanks for the positive feedback and encouragement. Have an incredible day!

Fathi S wrote:

Hello william , thank you for your valuable tips. Its very grateful to me. Thank you so much .

Tips, the photo must be of you. They do not serve drawings, logos, pets, groups, etc...
And you should check both the grammar and spelling of your profile.

Maria,

Great point about the photo!

ebf29961
Community Member

Thanks for this piece, I sure will try to work on getting the Linkedin and Upwork aspects done. Please can you help me review my profile? I need to optimize so I can start getting offers. Thanks

Hey Blessings, thanks for this message! Please follow the instructions in the PROFILE section in the above post. Once completed, let me know and I will review. Have a great day!

922a901f
Community Member

1. Thank you for the tip

Hey Nseobong, you are most welcome! If I can answer any questions, please let me know. Have a wonderful day!

lizablau
Community Member

Thanks, William.  I have a quick question about your marketing consultations.  Do you provide this over a Zoom call or give them a written strategy, or both?  

Lisa,

These are 60 minute Marketing and Sales Consultations via Upwork's Zoom that can cover any marketing and sales questions, and also frequently include business strategy questions. Most clients ask me to send a written proposal post project. I like these short sessions because it allows both the client and myself to get to know each and for both of us come to the Consult prepared to discuss their business issues so the meetings are highly productive.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths