🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » SERVICE FEE ISSUE
Page options
hmbzafar
Community Member

SERVICE FEE ISSUE

Hi,

I need help because Upwork is taking 20% service fee from me while my total lifetime billing is 805$. And Upwork policies said that from 500$-10,000$ it will take 10% service fee. Then why my service fee still 20% on 805$ earning? Thanks.

Regards,
Burhan

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
florydev
Community Member

It is lifetime billings per client. So it’s not $500 earned with Upwork but with each client.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
florydev
Community Member

It is lifetime billings per client. So it’s not $500 earned with Upwork but with each client.
imtiyajali7855
Community Member

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad, 

I would like to confirm what Mark has shared. Your service fees are based on your lifetime billing with a client. Service fees will slide once you pass the earning threshold for each client. You may read more about it here.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery,

Does it mean that every time I start a job with a new client the service fee will be 20% at the beginning until I pass $500 with her/him?

Thanks,

Yernar

Hi Yernar,

Yes that is correct. The sliding service fee is for the total billing per client, not your total billings for all clients. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks!

So this service fee, is it taken from my money and sent to UpWork or is the client paying it?

Is it better to work hourly then?

The client pays the amount of the contract. Upwork takes the service fee from that before it releases the money to you. 

Working hourly vs fixed-rate has no effect on the amount of the service fee.

Many thanks, I realised afterwards that that represents the UpWork fee 🙂

serhatoz26
Community Member

Hi,

I have a client until now I have done lots of job of him through Upwork. And in last 2-3 months I charged only %5 upwork service fee for his jobs. But recently he again send me an invitation for his another job. But when I looked at the fee's portion I saw %20 service fee charge and it is stated that I have not earned any money from his company. Can anyone help me?

I didnt share the company info or the invitation link but if you want I can provide them.

Thanks.

Regards,

Senior Software Engineer

Serhat

Hi Serhat,

Could you please click on my picture next to this post and send me a private message with more info about the client you're referring to so I can check this for you?

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea,

I have written a private message for you as you have said but there is no return yet.

I sent this message to check if I sent all the items that you need correctly.

One more thing I have already agreed the offer for the job from the client which I mentioned in my private message.

By the way it is a really interesting issue I have been working through Upwork for the last two years and I havent encountered anything like this before.

I hope it resolves as soon as possible.

Regards

Serhat 

It looks like your client created a new client account and hired you from that, which is why the fee starts from 20% again. The fee levels are only valid between two identical accounts.

Hi Petra,

It is a really shame you know. I get that job from the search "previous clients". The client name is same and they are same person and same company you know.

I have been working through Upwork for the last two years and this happened.

I always suggest my clients to move on to Upwork.

I also planned to make one of my individual contract through Upwork.

But whatever I think I will not use Upwork much from now on.

Thanks

Upwork gets a lot wrong, but I don't see how they can be blamed for this one.

Hi Jamie,

If you really think that Upwork is misjudged for this case

Let me share my thought on how Upwork can clear itself from this:

Whenever a client want to create a new client profile you can suggest him/her to move existing freelancer data to this new client profile. (no need for all data only total profit of freelancers is enough.)

In this case freelancers wont be charged again starting with %20 Upwork fee charge.

Isnt it simple? I am sure that you have lots of capable software engineers who can do this small task.

Regards

Serhat O wrote:

Isnt it simple?

No it isn't.

Also, if you got the contract via applying to a "previous client" proposal, that isn't what happened anyway.  If the client had a new account their job post would not have appeared as a prvious client because it wouldn't have been.

Serhat O wrote:

I get that job from the search "previous clients". The client name is same and they are same person and same company you know.

If you were hired directly from a proposal to a "previous client" job post, then what I suggested wouldn't apply, so I'd wait until Upwork get back to you. Have you actually already been charged at 20% or is it just saying that in the offer?

Hi Petra

I get it from preveios clients and in offer I see %20 charge.

I havent completed the job yet. So I dont now if Upwork really charge that from me.

Thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths