🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » SPAM?
Page options
2f5ff562
Community Member

SPAM?

Hi!!

Has any of you fine people received this message from this person?

is it fraud/spam

**Edited for community guidelines**

9 REPLIES 9
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mateo R.,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'll be sure to escalate this to the correct team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

~ Bojan
Upwork
yitwail
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Mateo R.,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'll be sure to escalate this to the correct team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

I may have received a similar message, although I have no way of being certain since OP's message was community guidelined.

The message was this:

Nancy C:

Mateo:

If I receive a message, asking me to talk about a potential project, then I am typically willing to talk at least briefly with the potential client.

If the client is serious about hiring through Upwork, and if this is work that I want to do, then I'll move forward.

It IS possible to receive REAL messages through Upwork that are genuine invitations from out of the blue, triggered by clients who find me on Upwork. These are typically relayed through Upwork. But it is possible for clients to find me and contact me outside of the platform if they put some effort into it. If I receive any communication outside of the platform, I will of course be very cautious. Such communication could indeed be a scam, but I don't think the content of the message that you posted provides us with enough information to say for certain.

Preston H wrote:

Mateo:

If I receive a message, asking me to talk about a potential project, then I am typically willing to talk at least briefly with the potential client.

If the client is serious about hiring through Upwork, and if this is work that I want to do, then I'll move forward.

It IS possible to receive REAL messages through Upwork that are genuine invitations from out of the blue, triggered by clients who find me on Upwork. These are typically relayed through Upwork. But it is possible for clients to find me and contact me outside of the platform if they put some effort into it. If I receive any communication outside of the platform, I will of course be very cautious. Such communication could indeed be a scam, but I don't think the content of the message that you posted provides us with enough information to say for certain.

Thank you Preston! My Upwork profile is currently suspended, the message was received on the private message of the communtity site, completely out of the blue, that person has no info on their upwork profile as a freelancer, and has been a member for six months only, so, seems spammy but just wanted to ask the community for advice.

lysis10
Community Member

Mateo R. S wrote:

The message was this:

Nancy C:

This is the perfect example of when I say it's a red flag when someone wants to immediately take it off-platform without even a small amount of back-and-forth. If they don't chat a little and just do this, it's a red flag. If they respond to you in chat and talk a bit and then ask for a skype call or whatever, then that's ok.

2f5ff562
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Mateo R. S wrote:

The message was this:

Nancy C:

This is the perfect example of when I say it's a red flag when someone wants to immediately take it off-platform without even a small amount of back-and-forth. If they don't chat a little and just do this, it's a red flag. If they respond to you in chat and talk a bit and then ask for a skype call or whatever, then that's ok.

The message was on the PM of the community platform! then I asked, well, what is this about and got this:
Thanks for your massage, Please recontact me back via the mail so that we can know each other better.

so...

yitwail
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Especially when the name of the sender, the name on the email address, and the name in the signature are all different! Cat LOL Regardless, there's no plausible reason anyone wants to give away their email to a total stranger instead of just chatting by PM, unless they're trying to pull a fast one. 

Community Manager

Hi John,

Please send me a PM with more information about the message you're referring to. I'll check that and escalate accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members