🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » SUGGESTION - Allow freelancers to hide their ...
Page options
80dbce3d
Community Member

SUGGESTION - Allow freelancers to hide their earnings at ALL TIMES

I learned today that I clients could see my previous earnings by project.  I think that is  a huge violation of my privacy and even risky considering that I give out my city location and business name.  I know that using the Pro membership can allow me to hide my earnings from public view, but clients can still see them when I submit a proposal.  That is not good enough. 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063168-Earnings-on-Your-Profile

It's obvious to me why freelancers want the privacy of hiding their earnings.  Think about how vulnerable you are if you own a busines with a physical location and you have high earnings.  Allowing anyone to see your earnings from your public profile is a huge violation of your privacy and risky in some situations. 

I want a feature that allows the earnings to be completely hidden at all times.  It doesn't make sense to have to display earnings. 

I have a client satisfaction rating and a job success score.  Those should be enough to convince clients whether I'm a good hire or not.

13 REPLIES 13
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Agreed. Right now we have to pay extra if we want to do that.

Well, right now we have to pay extra if we want to hide our earnings from all public views.  However, even as a Pro membership, your earnings are shared when you submit a proposal.  I don't even want to share earnings when I submit a proposal, or have an option to explicitly allow sharing when submitting a propsal.

Completely agree. No one should ever be able to see how much we have charged other clients unless we want to tell them that ourselves.

6e38530f
Community Member

I absolutely agree with Joseph

juwel121
Community Member

I agree with you!

henry-ceballos
Community Member

I agree!

Community Member

It's obvious to me why freelancers want the privacy of hiding their earnings.  Think about how vulnerable you are if you own a busines with a physical location and you have high earnings.  Allowing anyone to see your earnings from your public profile is a huge violation of your privacy and risky in some situations. 

I understand the risk if you provide your physical address and you keep large amounts of cash on hand. But you don't publish a physical address beyond city, state/province, nation. And I would wager that most online/remote businesses do not keep cash on hand, choosing to instead opt for bank accounts or similar.

I respect your desire to keep your earnings private. I am simply trying to understand the desire based on the risk cases that you presented.

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

I have mixed feelings about this.

Upworks pricing transparency kind of forces me to be disciplined and consistent about my hourly rates (for fixed price contracts its not so easy to assess the scope of the project for an outsider anyways).

On one side i tend to think, agencies or freelancers working outside the platform do not have to justify their prior pricing when negotiating a new contract and asking for a higher fee. And that makes me think that you could do value based pricing easily.

On the other side being consistent is good, noone ever wanted to change my rates because they see other people have been paying me those rates and leaving 5 star feedbacks. You have a chance to provide social proof once you get a few high paying clients.

When it comes to security, i don't get it, money is not delivered to your office, it's in a bank account. When it comes to privacy, i think it's correct, why do i have to declare my total earnings to my clients? 

ericaandrews
Community Member

I have to agree 100% because I don't want a client I've just submitted a proposal to able to go through my profile and see what other clients paid in the PAST and try to use that to 'bargain' down the rate I submitted and waste my time. (I just withdraw the proposal and discontinue the talk if they are trying offer something lower than the rate I submitted.)     It's a waste of my time for a client to look through my profile and go "Well, 2-3 years ago, you only charged the client so and so for the same type of work.  I was hoping I could get that same price."   No.  It doesn't matter what I charged 2 years ago, or even yesterday. The rate I submitted on the proposal to YOU  today is the price YOU have to pay for my services or find somebody else. End of discussion.  As the saying goes: "Yesterday's price is not today's price."   Welcome to Inflation

In addition, some folks have reasons for fluctuations in the rates they charge some clients versus others: Like the hours and time committment required, or offering a 'lower' price to a former or current friend, business associate, long-term client etc. Either way, it's none of the potential NEW client's business what deals you brokered with previous clients and why.

All the client should see is work history, reviews/feedback, job success/badges, general 'profile content', and the PRICE the freelancer provides on their proposal

I agree with everything you say, except the concept that a project requiring more working hours should attract a lower rate / discount. In my view, human's labour is not a discountable product. We have a limited number of hours to work during each week. Accepting a lower rate for a larger project would result in reducing our income. I can still sell my work hours at an acceptable rate to different clients. With my experience, I am more efficient and I utilise and charge many less hours then other lower-rate freelancers do. I verified that by going through my clients' history. 

juwel121
Community Member

Agree

deborah-ponzio
Community Member

...on the other end, the client's expenditure on projects in their history helps us assessing what type of client they are, catch their frame of mind when it comes to project value and paying for work, isn't it? I would still wish to retain access to such information. 

Right! It is similar to credit history. We all have a personal credit history/score. Many businesses also have one.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members