🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Sales Tax
Page options
yitwail
Community Member

Sales Tax

I was notified a few weeks ago that Upwork would begin collecting sales tax for residents in certain US states, including mine. Today I noticed I have a negative balance pending in My Reports. I presume that’s due to sales tax, although nothing like it was mentioned in this article: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051594473?utm_source=responsys&utm_medium=email&utm_...

ETA: I clicked on details for the pending amount, and it was labeled sales tax, but it also has a date one week from today. So will Upwork be charging the amount from my payment method in one week? Clarification about  this pending negative balance would be appreciated.

Hi John,

With the way hourly transactions are displayed on the Reports Overview page, the Sales Tax charge moves directly to Pending tab while the respective hourly invoice is still In Review. Once the client review period is over though, the hourly invoice will move into the Pending tab as well and there will no longer be a negative balance. I hope this clarifies it.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AndreaG

Hi John,

With the way hourly transactions are displayed on the Reports Overview page, the Sales Tax charge moves directly to Pending tab while the respective hourly invoice is still In Review. Once the client review period is over though, the hourly invoice will move into the Pending tab as well and there will no longer be a negative balance. I hope this clarifies it.

~Andrea
Upwork
yitwail
Community Member

Andrea, thank you for the clear explanation.
Learning Paths