cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same Company, new contract: Service Fee

Ace Contributor
Kevin C. N Member Since: Oct 4, 2016
21 of 24

If so, it is a can that needs to be opened sooner or later...

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
22 of 24

I would guess there are at least three criteria for spending time and money on a change to the platform that Upwork doesn't think this problem meets. If the problem were fixed -

A) Would the change be likely to increase Upwork's income from the client?

B) Would Upwork make higher fees from the freelancer?

C) Does not fixing the problem make it likely the client will stop using Upwork? 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 24

Hi Kevin,

I understand your concern and that for you the job and the client are technically the same. However, the two accounts are completely separate and it's not possible to move the information about total billings from one client account and contract to another completely different account and contract.

We do have a solution for companies who want to have several colleagues managing the same contract or relationship with a freelancer. They can use account permissions. That's essentially the process that Virginia described.

So, I am going to escalate your case for another review and see what can be done.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Kevin C. N Member Since: Oct 4, 2016
24 of 24

Hi Valeria,

Thanks for stepping in! In this case, I'm sorry to disagree but it's not that for me the job and the client are technically the same, they are the same: I'm performing the same work, for the same company, earning the same salary, with the same conditions. It is the same job, but the company decided I should report to a different manager who has her own UW account. It seems to me it's more like these people are technically not the same client for UW.

I see how it might be convenient for UW to leave it up to freelancers to face the question of whether they should inconvenience their clients (starting talks of how UW's service fees affect freelancers and why they should set things up differently) or just take the loss and go back to square one when it comes to service fees. I'm hoping there will be a solution as particularly in this case it is extremely easy to demonstrate that these two people are working in the same department: for starters they both have open LinkedIn profiles with hundreds of contacts and a long history of interactions, which should be enough to prove I'm not making any of this up.

In any case, thank you and everyone else for your interest in this thread!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS