🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Same job posted on multiple sites
Page options
lexidh
Community Member

Same job posted on multiple sites

The other day I saw a job on UpWork I considered putting in a proposal for. But then I got an e-mail, telling me I was invited to interview for the VERY SAME job on a different site. I can't say it surprises me, but it doesn't make me feel like spending much time on making good proposals. When maybe 1 of 5 ever ends in a hire (of anyone), I view writing proposals for random postings as time mostly wasted. 

8 REPLIES 8
iamchunchunchun
Community Member

Clients do this all the time. It's reasonable that they would use multiple platforms. Yea it indeed feels like some connects wasted on our side.

lexidh
Community Member

I'd rather spend my connects, lots more of them, if I knew the client had paid for the job posting. It would make it all the more serious and probability to actually get hired would skyrocket. Those who wants the cheapest candidate aren't interesting for me. They may claim to want "Expert level", but most of them don't want to pay any kind of reasonable price for our time. 

petra_r
Community Member

@lexidh S wrote:

I'd rather spend my connects, lots more of them, if I knew the client had paid for the job posting. It would make it all the more serious and probability to actually get hired would skyrocket. . 

You'd get to keep all your Connects because there would be very few job posts, all existing freelancers would be chasing those that are there, and chances of getting hired would tend towards zero.

Would you go into a shop that charged you just to look around and made you sign that you won't visit any other shops?

If you must apply for "paid for" job postings look out for those with the "featured" badge, they are paid for.

lexidh
Community Member

UpWork isn't a store or a shop, it is a tool to either find the cheapest labor possible, or to find the perfect person to help you with your very important project. The line between those two should be much clearer. I had no idea the "featured" ones were paid for, for instance, and I've been here for many years. 

petra_r
Community Member

@lexidh S wrote:

I had no idea the "featured" ones were paid for, for instance, and I've been here for many years. 

Check how few of them there are. That tells you you what the vast majority of clients think of paying to post their jobs, and it would completely turn off new clients.

There is a reason none of the successful freelancing sites charge for job postings.

The reason is that it would be commericial suicide.

"UpWork isn't a store or a shop, it is a tool to either find the cheapest labor possible, or to find the perfect person to help you with your very important project."

A shop is a place to find the cheapest product possible, or find the perfect product to help you with your very important project.

This is a marketplace, and therefore, it is indeed very similar to a shop or store. We are offering services for a price, much like you'd find products and services in a shopping mall.

In every case, there's no faster way to sabotage a business than to charge potential customers for the privilege of even considering buying from you. As soon as you do this, the very first reasonable competitor to come along who DOESN'T charge to shop will take all of your business.

I've spent more money on connects/bids in the last decade than probably anyone reading this. They are just a cost of doing business. Worrying about them would be like worrying about the cost of stamps on submitted job applications back in the old days.

tlbp
Community Member

The same is true of a job advert. Employers spread a wide net looking for the best candidate. 

If you don't want to seek jobs, you don't apply. That's the way freelancing works. 

Perhaps you could search for a paid to post job board that suits your needs. I know of at least one for writers. Other niches probably have them as well. 

Buyer prerogative.  When you need to buy a new shirt or bed linens don't you check more than one store before deciding where and on what to spend you money?

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths