Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sample Work !

This widget could not be displayed.
mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 15

Asking for free work is against the Terms if Service. Flag the job as inappropriate, send screenshots of the message (or job posting) where the client requested the free work to Customer Support. If you choose, you can let the client know that free work violates the ToS. To be honest, the lack of response from the client plus the request for free work is a red flag that this client is a scammer who just wants to get work for free. 

To get hired on a job the flow goes like this: Submit proposal > interview (sometimes, but not all) > client makes an offer > you review and either request changes or accept > the job shows up in your My Jobs tab. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 15

Pankaj:

You made a mistake by doing this work for free.

As long as contractors such as yourself continue to voluntarily work for free for clients, there will be clients who ask for free work.

It is the responsibility of all contractors to put a stop to this pratice.

Whether clients ask for free work or not is irrelevent. It is contractors' fault if contractors work for free.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
4 of 15

re: "I do not have any idea on how to respond to the client and do not want myself to get into any kind of trouble wherein, the client might decline and just in case if he puts any negative remarks regarding my work or profile, that is what is giving me the problems."

You have no contract with this client. There is absolutely no way for the client to give you any kind of trouble or negative feedback.

A client can't give you any feedback at all if you have no contract with the client.

A client can not pay you if you have no contract.

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT GETTING PAID. You will not get paid, because there is no contract in place.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 15

Preston, you seem like an exceptionally intelligent person,so I am baffled by your consistent misuse of the word "voluntary". 

You seem very committed to getting the word out that freelancers should not do free work. That might be more effective if you stopped confusing the issue by mischaracterizing what has occurred.

6 of 15

prestonhunter
Community Guru
7 of 15

Tiffany, no offense is intended by use of the word "voluntary."

The original poster was asked by a client to do test work, which the original poster said took him an hour or so to do.

I'm not sure why you consider the use of this word to be a "mischaracterization" of what happened.

Somebody asked him to work for free, and he did.

In this and other situations, Upwork contractors have been asked to work and they did so, without being forced to do so.

You are correct that in some other situations the contractors thought they would get paid, or hoped they would get paid. So I understand (in other situations) why you might feel the word isn't appropriate. "Voluntary" seems a rather mild word, though, and reflects how I see these situations.

But I certainly am not disputing that contractors have been duped.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 15

@Tiffany S wrote:

Preston, you seem like an exceptionally intelligent person,so I am baffled by your consistent misuse of the word "voluntary". 

You seem very committed to getting the word out that freelancers should not do free work. That might be more effective if you stopped confusing the issue by mischaracterizing what has occurred.

Huh?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 15

@Rene K wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

Huh?

Every time someone has been tricked into providing free work, either as a "sample" or because the client didn't fund the milestone and the freelancer was too naive or hopeful or simply didn't understand the system well enough to realize that meant he likely wouldn't get paid, Preston posts the same response about how that person "voluntarily worked for free" and so isn't owed anything.

While some of those who have been duped into long "samples"  have arguably done that voluntarily, those who didn't understand the payment system or didn't realize they needed to have a contract set up before they were actually hired certainly have not. Misstating the facts that way diminishes the credibility of the rest of the response.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 15

I'm big fan of reading the manual before plugging the fridge.

Same thing goes for this kind of platforms. If you don't read the manual, you will end up working for free. In this case, you don't really work for free voluntary, I agree with you. The whole process of starting to use such platform without having no idea about how it works, however, is a voluntary choice, not the best one probably.

I guess that was the general idea.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS