Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sample Work !

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 15

Let me clarify something about my position that you described as saying a duped contractor "isn't owed anything."

When it is clear that there is no way to collect money from a scammer who tricked them, I have often advised contractors to move on and to not try to collect the money.

This is not a legal argument. This is not based on any official policies. This is not said to let unethical clients or outright scammers off the hook.

This is advice given to a contractor. It is psychological, and it is heartfelt advice.

It is based on the idea that if a person is NOT going to get the money, it is better if nobody owes him that money. It is better if he isn't waiting for the money or expecting to get the money somehow.

If the newbie isn't going to get that money, the newbie is better off really embracing what happened, accepting responsibility for what happened, and letting go of it to move forward.

I'm not trying to spin this. The advice, including the characterization of the contractor's actions as "voluntary" is meant to help the individual contractor as well as the platform.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 15

Preston, I know all of that--if I thought your intention was just to beat up on the slower kids, I wouldn't bother to point out the impact of using language that may be confusing under the circumstances. I've generally found, though, that it's much easier to convey a point to someone if you haven't given them something to quibble with. It's very easy for someone who is already feeling cheated/victimized to get stuck on that point and lose the larger (and clearly accurate) point.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
13 of 15

Hi Pankaj, 

I've reported this to the team so that they can take action against the client's account. I'm sorry for the bad experience you had on the platform.

~ Avery
Upwork
pankajgalhotra
Pankaj K Member Since: Aug 23, 2016
14 of 15

Hi Avery,

I thank you for your attention to this matter.

It will be a great help to me if you could please guide me on the next step. Let me give you an overview of the discussion. All this took place within the UpWork Portal and no outside communication, wherein, I applied for some job and received the reply from a client with an offer of appointment link in the message center. Now this offer is opened in a new window somewhere in google drive and google docs. I went through the offer and accepted it by replying via message center. Thereafter, I received another message asking me to clear some test again by going out of UpWork Portal. I went through the inputs. Now agreed skills were to "Editing, Proof Readers, Quality Assessor. Clarity, Simplicity and Sense Checkers", but the inputs direct me to create a new document with some screenshots in it extracted from watching a video of more than one and a half hours. However, I created the one and finally it's with me (I had mentioned this in my first query to the community - "I am just lost in woods on what should I do...should I submit the work to the client."). Another issue is I have requested him three times to discuss with me over the skype or through some channel, but neither he is providing his Skype ID nor did I receive any proper response, though I have already given him mine at the very first stage he asked me for it.

Now the overall confusion to me is:

1. Please let me know the way I described above, is there any binding agreement between the two of us?

2. If yes, then I believe he should ask for the test on the agreed skills and should not go out of scope.

3. If I submit him the completed test work (which is with me as of now), should I get paid for that?

I undersand you will help me to commence my vibrant journey here on UpWork.

Thanking you once again for being so helpful.

Take care !

Pankaj

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
15 of 15

Hi Pankaj,

Before submitting any new proposals, I strongly advise you to read the Help articles from the Getting Started as a Freelancer section and our Freelancer Guide.

If a client accepts your proposal and responds to it, the proposal will be listed in the "Active Candidacies" section of the Proposals page. You then need to discuss the project scope, requirements, timeline and contract terms with the client. If you agree to work together, the client needs to send you an offer and you need to accept it, in order to have an active contract on Upwork. The contract will be displayed under the My Jobs tab and replying in Messages that you agree with the terms, as in your case, won't create an active contract.

Next step would be for you to ask your client to award you the job, so they will be able to process the payment for any work you might have delivered so far. If your client needs assistance in doing this, ask them to contact Customer Support and our team will guide them through the process. If you client doesn't respond, please take screenshots of your Skype communication and share them with Support.

Make sure not to start working unless the contract is covered by the appropriate Upwork Protection Program and only accept to get paid through the platform. Please check the tips for staying safe on Upwork Lena shared here.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS