🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Scam Alert
Page options
brooks-linda
Community Member

Scam Alert

Please be warned about a job posting for Copy Editing & Proofreading for a customer named "**Edited for Community Guidelines**". I submitted a proposal yesterday & was contacted today for an interview. When I opened the email attachment, I found it was the exact same one as a job I submitted a proposal for in May 2019, supposedly for **Edited for Community Guidelines**. In May I became suspicious when they asked me for money for a special computer supposedly necessary to do the job, for which I would reimbursed later, but they wanted the check ASAP! i called the real **Edited for Community Guidelines** who advised me I was being scammed & they never post jobs on Upwork. I kept a complete copy of the transcript of my online "training" & correspondence with the bogus company (which was done on Google Hangouts) & reported this & sent it to Upwork in May. They haven't changed any of their logo or contact info on their forms since then & I'm amazed that they were able to advertise on Upwork again. I have flagged this job & hopefully Upwork will take it off, but until then, be warned!

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Linda B wrote:

& I'm amazed that they were able to advertise on Upwork again. I have flagged this job & hopefully Upwork will take it off, but until then, be warned!

Not the same people, it's one of the oldest, dumbest scams on the net and just gets recycled among new scammers. It's all over the Internet and has been for at least 15 years.

Just flag it as inappropriate and move on.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members