🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam Alert **
Page options
miller1165
Community Member

Scam Alert **

Everyone please note that a job offer for proofreading/editing materials for a company called **Edited for Community Guidelines** is a complete scam. I contacted this company directly and they confirmed this scam has been going on awhile and they have tried really hard to stop it but have been unsuccesful. This is one where they send you a check to cover the cost of purchasing computer equipment, so you are supposed to cash the check and then pay some vendor. Of course, the check will initially clear and be available to use. But then the bank will later on discover it is a fake check and withdrawal back the amount that was cleared to you. This is a very typical freelancer job scam. Don't take money or checks from anyone at the outset of employment. I have had freelance jobs where the employer wanted me to use computer equipment they provided, for security purposes and so they could install special software on it for you. If the job is real. the employer will pay for and arrange themselves for the equipment to be purchased and sent to you. THERE IS NO REASON THAT A REAL EMPLOYER CAN'T BUY THE EQUIPMENT THEMSELVES, DIRECTLY. Any employer that really doesn't want you to use your own computer will simply have a computer shipped to you. There is no reason that you need to do this end around payment style. Sometimes the scammer says they are doing it that way because they want to evaluate how you handle money.  Remote freelancer jobs never involve handling of money. So why would they be evaluating you for that? And how does simp[ly purchasing computer equipment show them anything about how you manage money? It does not. Never use a check that was emailed to you and then they ask you to deposit it immediately using Zelle or something like it and them IMMEDIATELY turn around and pay the computer vendor. You will notice how they try to rush rush rush you. That is all typical to this scam. I have seen it so many times. For me, I find it amusing to waste their time for a couple of days, acting like I'm doing everything they ask, being snarky, and then trying to decide in the end whether I'm going to tell them that I've decided to steal their money or to call them out on the scam. Anyways, don't accept a check and cash it in and then spend it. Because the bank is going to call back the money and you will be out of pocket and loset anything you paid out. And the vendor is part of the scam because they receive real money from you.

6 REPLIES 6
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Thank you for reporting this here and I'm sure swift and decisive action will take place on account of your post.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

These are all such common sense questions and such an obvious scam that you have to wonder how anyone falls for it. But I also wanted to add that it's against Upwork's terms of service to accept payments of any kind off of Upwork, so even if you're 100 percent certain that a company is sending you a real cheque, accepting it could get your account permanently banned. If you refuse to accept cheques in the first place, then there's no danger of falling for this scam.

0d0ce2f9
Community Member

Thank you for your post.  I am new to Upwork and still learning how to navigate the process.  This was unfortunately my first offer but once they started discussing sending me a check to purchase my own equipment I became skeptical. It is also interesting the hours the late hours they responded to my proposal.  I have already contacted the company who's name they are using to verify my suspicions and I will also be taking the check so that they have record of the fraudulant checks.  

renata101
Community Member

Hi Tiffany,

I'm glad you were able to trust your gut and your common sense during that experience. You might want to check out this article by Wes, a fellow freelancer on Upwork, about red flags for scams.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Also, as a new freelancer, it's a good idea to get to know the Terms of Service. You can find them here:
https://www.upwork.com/legal

9cb098af
Community Member

Thank you for that. I think that nearly happened to me.

Glad you were not scammed.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members