🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Scam Client
Page options
d5600767
Community Member

Scam Client

Hello, Upwork community!
I received an offer from a client named **edited for Community Guidelines**. He never chats with me about his project before sending me the offer. However, I accepted since it met my hourly rate limits and I asked him to schedule a call so that we could discuss his job requirements.

The following message I received from him was that he has a team he is working with within the EU and he is having issues making payments to them so he wants to send me $2000 so that I can send his shady team $1550 and keep $450 for doing nothing. That was when I realized he was a scam client.

I told him that what he was asking me to do is against Upwork's policies and terms of services so I could not do it. He then asked me to please delete my messages but I wouldn't do that. However, he managed to delete his messages before I get a screenshot of them (sorry).

**edited for Community Guidelines**

To my fellow freelancers, be careful with the client associated with the name above while Upwork handles the situation.

Thank you all.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for flagging this here, Abubakar. 

I went ahead and reported this to the team. In the future, please don't hesitate to report suspicious user activity by following the steps here.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

These scammers should at least use logic. How can he "pay" you, if he can't pay in the EU? 

No freelancer should ever fall for this scam, it is simply too bad. 

Thanks for reporting it. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for flagging this here, Abubakar. 

I went ahead and reported this to the team. In the future, please don't hesitate to report suspicious user activity by following the steps here.

~ Avery
Upwork
pgiambalvo
Community Member

So sorry you had to deal with this.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths