🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Scam - Data Entry Job Postings
Page options
ea0ed5de
Community Member

Scam - Data Entry Job Postings

I'm new to upwork and I'm having a hard time getting projects that are actually legitimate. I'm trained in the virtual assistant tasks and I have a bit of experience so I wanted to start off with short-term fixed price projects I could complete first so I could get a feel for what I'm going to be doing here on upwork.

Whenever I search Data-entry projects, I get like 60% to 80% of the same offers where the clients says you have to download JPEG or PDF files and type them into Microsoft Word. All of them have unverified payment details and I noticed that some projects are posted multiple time. I also noticed that some use the same templates.

Unfortunately I wasted a few connects applying for these projects only to be sent a link that either doesn't work, or gets you to a page that obviously indicates the offer was a scam.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nyonomega0
Community Member

Angelo G wrote:

Yes, you're not the only one.

These scam job postings have been on a rise for the last few months.

Currently, Upwork is refusing to do anything about them.

Anyways, for the time being, you can use the save search option to filter scam job postings. You can learn more about it here.

Thank You.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
nyonomega0
Community Member

Angelo G wrote:

Yes, you're not the only one.

These scam job postings have been on a rise for the last few months.

Currently, Upwork is refusing to do anything about them.

Anyways, for the time being, you can use the save search option to filter scam job postings. You can learn more about it here.

Thank You.

Thank you, this was helpful.

I worked with a retail company similar to eBay, they have a specific department that handles this and it's quite easy. I hope upwork finds a similar solution, or they could atleast reimburse the Connects when they take down a job posting.

Hi Angelo,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback and concerns. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety.

Additionally, I assure you that we'll continue sharing users' feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about team's initiatives. Feel free to check an update in this post for more information about the team's efforts around addressing these issues.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Dear Angelo,

Yes, Upwork just saved me from being scammed by removing the Job Posting!  We need to ensure that the Job Posting has Credentials of a certain History! Appreciate Nikola(Upwork Team) in adding value to our competencies by ensuring our talents are not wasted by being recuruited by SCAMS! Remeber, Never Ever waste time Outside of Upwork SCAMS! The Writing is on the WALL ... Terms of Service Guarantee vs More MONEY!!! Clarity of Perception 🙂

Way to go.... Upwork! 

Best regards,

Ravichandran M R

We all are a BIG T.E.A.M.(Together Everyone Achieves More) at Upwork to ensure we all have Clarity of Perception. 

Best,

Ravichandran M R

4902c222
Community Member

I am new in upwork and I received email and message from two clients. I am not sure if these are legit. But they have similar platform and with little difference. I was test to type screenshots with lots of words to ms words within 30mins and then after that asking to pay money for the project choose. I am not sure if these two persons are scammer but I really think they are.😅

 **Edited for Community Guidelines**

It's a scam. Stop communicating with them immediately. Any time the client wants you outside of Upwork for any reason before a contract is signed is a violation of the Terms of Service, and in this case there is also a violation if money is exchanged outside of Upwork.

This is a jobs platform, and no one ever should pay a fee or buy anything before starting a job. Report the clients to Upwork.  You need to read this, and pay special attention to the link from Wes on Red Flags for Scams. Learn the rules, or you will only be scammed.

They do reimburse the Connects when they take down a job posting, might take a while, though. And I guess blocking all posts that have WhatsApp or Telegram is something that they do not want to do, even though it is very simple for us to do.

• Good 

Plz and date entry 

rafiaintizar
Community Member

Yes you're not the only one there are a lot of scamers. I have got more projects but thy deail outside of upwork after completion of projects thay are runaway. Do for good but get nothing bloody scammers 

marygracerufila
Community Member

Hi, I was contacted by a client for data entry job. I applied and they give me a message. I was being asked to pay 50$ security deposit and being asked also to screenshot my gcash account. Can you help me check if this is legit or would you know if this is legit? I was also messaged them via telegram per instructions.

data entry

Yes, Upwork just saved me from being scammed by removing the Job Posting!  We need to ensure that the Job Posting has Credentials of a certain History! Appreciate Nikola(Upwork Team) in adding value to our competencies by ensuring our talents are not wasted by being recuruited by SCAMS! Remember, Never Ever waste time Outside of Upwork SCAMS! The Writing is on the WALL ... Terms of Service Guarantee vs More MONEY!!! Clarity of Perception 

ravirengarajan_2-1665689858677.png

Way to go.... Upwork! 

Best regards,

Ravichandran M R

c4e453ac
Community Member

I can't believe people are still dealing with this nonsense.  This forum is literally better monitored (automatically) than the most important part of the site - the jobs postings.  When a scammer contacts freelancers, there's no URL censorship of any kind, no tripwires that would automatically close a job down and suspend a "client" (scammer).  All manual flagging, nothing changes, and the usual chorus of "should/ought to" shaming language leveled at new users. 

ravirengarajan
Community Member

Please exercise caution in the Job Postings and ensure to see if the "Payment Method" is verified especially for Data Entry Jobs! Also these jobs disappear and they ask you to reply via other social media like Telegram. Upwork cautions you when you click these links that you are directed outside!  Good Luck!

73e2c578
Community Member

Data analysis 

2c238eb8
Community Member

There are others like you as well.
Recent months have seen an increase in these scam job postings.
At the moment, Upwork isn't doing anything about it.
The save search option can be used for the time being to filter scam job postings. More information can be found here.
I appreciate your help.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths