🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam! **Edited**
Page options
artmercz
Community Member

Scam! **Edited**

Just wasted about an hour and realized this job is a scam! Not sure if **Edited for community guidelines** is hiring or not but be leary of doing a chat interview with **Edited for community guidelines**using google hangouts! Just wasted about an hour of my life filling out useless stuff and answering some bogus questions just to get my bank account. Kinda freaking out a bit as they know my first last name, bank i use, address and phone provider. 

Can anyone out there put my mind at ease and let me know if I should be worried or really worried?  Also what steps should I take, this has never happened to me before... This whole thing is such a dissapointment : ( 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_burns71
Community Member

They tried to get me with the same scam when I first started. Fortunately, I've seen this movie before over my career, so I knew when to walk away and report them. They did get a little bit of information out of me, but nothing that isn't available through a little Googling. I wouldn't worry about it if that's all they got.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jaybopp82
Community Member

You didn't deposit the check, right?

Google Hangouts is always a very, very red flag.  Flag the job as innappropriate and move on next time, when Google Hangouts is mentioned.

No there was no check given, I just gave the name of my bank. Thanks for the heads up of Google Hangouts!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Art,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Thanks for flagging this for us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content.

Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and, please, be careful not to share any private or sensitive information with clients on Upwork. All the information needed to hire and pay you via Upwork is available on your profile.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
artmercz
Community Member

Thanks so much for the prompt response, is difficult to know exactly the flags until I see them, and am new to this environment 🙂 Eyes are a bit wider now for sure! Its reassuring to know there is this forum and people who "have my back" so to speak!

a_burns71
Community Member

They tried to get me with the same scam when I first started. Fortunately, I've seen this movie before over my career, so I knew when to walk away and report them. They did get a little bit of information out of me, but nothing that isn't available through a little Googling. I wouldn't worry about it if that's all they got.

Much thanks!! Yeah that's kinda where my head space was too, think just having you and the others jump in and let me know to just breathe helped immensely 🙂

My BS detector is generally pretty good, and after that initial experience where I discovered they were here and how they work, I've gotten pretty good at spotting them and not applying for those jobs. No more bad experiences since then.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members