🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Scam Fraud Jason Rivera ShareTrough
Page options
51d39a12
Community Member

Scam Fraud Jason Rivera ShareTrough

Hello Everyone, 
Becarefull at this guy. Unofrtunately, I thought that is my first job on Upwork and I discussed with him on Telegram. 😞 
I sent him some personal data. What I can do in this case? 

Next time I will be more carefull... ;(

**Edited for community guidelines**

  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tagrendy
Community Member

1. You are not supposed to contact client outside Upwork before contract is in place, that breaks Upwork rules. 

2. You shouldn't post personal information on the forum, that breaks forum rules. 

Sorry you got scammed, whatever personal information you shared, try to change them. To avoid getting scammed, work with clients with verified payment methods that also have a proven track record / work history. Be aware that being new on the platform makes you more of a target of scamming than anyone else. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
tagrendy
Community Member

1. You are not supposed to contact client outside Upwork before contract is in place, that breaks Upwork rules. 

2. You shouldn't post personal information on the forum, that breaks forum rules. 

Sorry you got scammed, whatever personal information you shared, try to change them. To avoid getting scammed, work with clients with verified payment methods that also have a proven track record / work history. Be aware that being new on the platform makes you more of a target of scamming than anyone else. 

thanks for advice! 🙂

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Glad you reported this here to let people know this is going on. Never communicate with anyone off of Upwork until after a contract has been set up as that is a violation of the ToS. As for what you can do about having sent him personal info, nothing. It's done. Now just watch out for how that impacts you and hopefully you can fix any problems that come up. And please read these tips on how to avoid scams in the future: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/From-the-Trust-and-Safety-Team-How-to-Spot-a-Scam/ba-...

Thanks for advice!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Improve your profile. It's not a guarantee you will not be targeted, but it can help. 

Read the ToS. If you understand what is allowed and what is not, this is a guarantee that you will not fall for a scam. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

So what did he say? Oh thanks man, I did not realize somebody gave me a fake ID? That would have been the expert scammer response, so I hope you at least got that. (You can delete this as it is not contributing to the subject matter.)

that was my latest reply. After that, he blocked me.

51d39a12
Community Member

his username

ericaandrews
Community Member

Anytime a potential 'client' tries to take you OFF of Upwork to discuss a 'contract', it is an immediate red flag because that means they don't want Upwork to have a RECORD of what was discussed.  It is also a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. Even after an Upwork contract is in place, clients, freelancers, and teams normally use a professional messaging app like Slack, Google Messages, or Upwork messaging intended for work-related communications, not 'sketchy' apps like WhatsApp, SnapChat, Instagram, or Telegram - which boasts about 'untraceable' communications and the ability to have messages "self destruct" or "auto erase" themselves after a period of time.  If a 'client' ever tries to lure you OFF the Upwork platform to discuss a contract, the first thing you should do is INFORM the client that communicating outside of Upwork without a contract is a violation of Upwork rules (Some new clients actually don't KNOW).  If the client still INSISTS on communicating over something other than Upwork before a funded contract has started, REPORT the client to Upwork through the Upwork messages app, BLOCK the client, and move on.  If you do those things, you'll never get scammed again.

knwlzahid
Community Member

This post is talking about fraud, so i want to contribute. This one really blew my mind.  Can a person have two upwork accounts with different identities? I saw these two profile in a client's recent history. 

and its not done here. if someone see the profile carefully, its obvious that all work history of that freelancer is a fraud? hiring himself from multiple accounts and fake feedbacks. this is next level. 

Kanwal

If you're able to so easily spot it. Upwork should be able to too and remove them immediatley.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kanwal,

Thanks for flagging this case. I have shared your report with our team for review. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Poloboc,

Please be careful not to share any private or sensitive information with clients on Upwork. All the information needed to hire and pay you via Upwork is available on your profile. It is a violation of Upwork’s Terms of Service to request or share contact information before a contract starts.  You can check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork and be sure to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature whenever you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
b9b2b530
Community Member

Yes , there are many people, guiding zou out to Telegram, with any conctract"""

BE CAREFULL

chieson
Community Member

Their tricks are to make people who want to get the work first, they will review the work and will pay, and when before they will pay money, ask you to pay the transaction fee first. I checked the company and SNSs before I do, they existed as real so kept doing but their conversations were smelly so took all screenshots each time. Before to talk about the payment, I checked all the pages of the company URL and the details, then my guess was right. I talked with a guy  **Edited for Community Guidelines**, and he passed to **Edited for Community Guidelines** to talk about the bank, I knew it their cheating but kept talking to know how they progress and asked many questions. After I asked about their cheating, he cleared all conversations and changed the name to **Edited for Community Guidelines**now. **Edited for Community Guidelines**, he still has the same name but probably will change the name for the next targets.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths