cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Scam ??? I feel that is all I am getting.

5ff9bd2d
Mariebien W Member Since: Sep 22, 2016
21 of 37

Did anybody actually deposited the check that was sent to you?

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
22 of 37

Yes some people have, and the check bounces because it is fake and some people have lost thousands. 

Having the check sent to you in the first place is breaking one of the biggest rules of the site and can get you suspended. 

It's important to have an active contract in place on the site with payment verified or escrow funded and to NEVER accept any kind of payment off the platform.  

There are many help pages to help you get started here that you need to look over to ensure you're following the rules and to ensure you're protected against scammers. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
23 of 37

And it is not only Upwork that takes a dim view of this. Some banks will close an account out of hand with this sort of transaction.

5ff9bd2d
24 of 37

I feel so stupid. I am a new stay at home mom and truly am in need of work from home. I can't believe this happened to me. How did people have lost thousands by depositing the check?

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
25 of 37

@Mariebien W wrote:

How did people have lost thousands by depositing the check?

Easy. You deposit the check.

You have their money.

You buy their stuff with their money. Check bounces. You paid their stuff not with their money, but with your money. 

They have your money.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
5ff9bd2d
26 of 37

I had an interview via google hangout as well. They are a freelance HR agents for acasti pharmacy. Once I've been interviewed the proposal was declined but was told that I am part of the accounting team now. After the check deposit supposedly office equipment are to be bought for trainig to start this coming Monday. Is this truly a scam? Did someone got the same interview? This is way too good to be true and am afraid to deposit the check. please assist. 

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
27 of 37

@Mariebien W wrote:

I had an interview via google hangout as well. They are a freelance HR agents for acasti pharmacy. Once I've been interviewed the proposal was declined but was told that I am part of the accounting team now. After the check deposit supposedly office equipment are to be bought for trainig to start this coming Monday. Is this truly a scam? Did someone got the same interview? This is way too good to be true and am afraid to deposit the check. please assist. 

Please reread what I just posted. I told you it was a scam. DO NOT deposit the check and report the client.  Chances are the post has already been removed though.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
5ff9bd2d
28 of 37

Thanks for the advice Katrina

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
29 of 37

Mariebien,

Read this:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Content-Corner/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/m-p/240833#U240833

It was written by Lena, who is one of Upwork's moderators.

You could also profitably read all the other help pages for new freelancers as well as Upwork's Terms of Service and Terms of Use.

5ff9bd2d
30 of 37

Thank you Nichola

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS