cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam ??? I feel that is all I am getting.

5ff9bd2d
Mariebien W Member Since: Sep 22, 2016
31 of 37

I am trying to contact customer support or find the site. When I click on Lisa's customer support link it wil take me to a main site. I tried called upworks too, but no customer support was available.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
32 of 37

Hi Mariebien,

I checked and it looks like the team has already taken actions against the job that requested you to interview via Google Hangouts. You'll see that the interview has been archived and the job has been closed as inappropriate.

Also, please let me know if you can access the Help Center via this link

~ Valeria
Upwork
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
33 of 37

People come here asking about the check scam because they have some doubts. They are not really sure about this. They prefer asking, just to be sure.

It actually baffles me, how can you even consider that someone sending you a check out of the blue could possibly be a legit business offer.

I wonder how many don't ask and just fall for it and never come here. Considering the prevalence of this scam I'm afraid the victims are countless. It must be one of the most profitable scams on Upwork.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
5ff9bd2d
34 of 37

Before the check was sent to me a interview was conducted via google hangouts two days before. Allen mentioned that before I will start with training I would need certain software and office supplies/materials. So, I check would be sent to me in order for me to make those purchases. At that point I felt a bit weirded out already.

Luckly I found this chain and of course did NOT deposited the check.

This is not good that these scams are not able to be filtered through upworks before hand. The job posting looked legit and the interview seemed fine as well.

Here is the message that was sent to me origianlly:

Good Morning,

Dear applicant we apologize for the delay in response in regards to your resume that was forwarded to our hiring department, The Hiring Desk, has reviewed your resume and we believe you have the required qualifications to proceed. The Positions We Have Available Are: Data ... moreEntry Clerk, Accounting Clerk, Clerical Administrative,Appointment Setter, Bookkeeper, Office Assistant, Customer Service, Payroll, Medical Biller Coder, Cashier candidate,Data Operator,Support Call Coordinator, These are the available positions we have and needed. The Job Briefing & Interview will be conducted Through Google hangout Messaging Chat IM and you are hereby necessitated to instant message the company's chief information officer ( Mr Allen Morgan ) on { allenmorgan8080@gmail.com }. He will look forward in connecting with you online. Note: You can have your response and resume e-mailed to Mr Allen Morgan for proper review to [allenmorgan8080@gmail.com] for further communications. Confirm and acknowledge the receipt of this e-mail as you read. Thanks For Your Co-operation! Thank you Human Resources HR Department

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
35 of 37

@Rene K wrote:

People come here asking about the check scam because they have some doubts. They are not really sure about this. They prefer asking, just to be sure.

It actually baffles me, how can you even consider that someone sending you a check out of the blue could possibly be a legit business offer.

I wonder how many don't ask and just fall for it and never come here. Considering the prevalence of this scam I'm afraid the victims are countless. It must be one of the most profitable scams on Upwork.

Exactly, Rene. If people didn't fall for it the scammers would come up with something new. The fact that it is continuously showing up means that freelancers are still falling for it.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
36 of 37

I am not sure which is scarier:

That this is one of the oldest running ever scams on Upwork...

or

That there has been a HUGE uptick in the reporting of these jobs THIS MONTH. 

Yes, I get we have a lot of newbies, but come on....

Did something happen behind the scenes that we don't know about? I've honestly been wanting to state the above for a week now, but haven't bothered to create a new thread.

5ff9bd2d
37 of 37

It is definitely scary. Like I said, I am very happy to have found this massage posting chain.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS