🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Scam Job Interview
Page options
e5399063
Community Member

Scam Job Interview

I applied for two jobs from Upwork regarding Proofreading. The employer asked for a skype interview and I filled in a long questionnaire. Both the employer used skype and had similar questionnaire. They sent a job offer too! I checked the company in linkedIn, google, nothing comes out. The name of the employees who contacted me in skype seems also fake. The employer name is upwork is**Edited for Community Guidelines**and **Edited for Community Guidelines**. 

The names in Skype are **Edited for Community Guidelines** and **Edited for Community Guidelines** (respectively). They are sending a cheque and will provide equipments! What a waste of my time and effort. Why Upwork allows such scam job vacancies? How do we trust vacancies?  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsikes
Community Member

As soon as they as to move to Skype without having a contract in place, you should assume it's a scam. Moving to Skype is a violation of Upwork's TOS and you can lose your account for it. Upwork can't really determine in advance which "clients" are going to try this, so it's up to you to avoid it. I find that telling potential clients that we can only talk via Upwork messages weeds out scammers quite well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
pudingstudio
Community Member

Nusrat N wrote:

I applied for two jobs from Upwork regarding Proofreading. The employer asked for a skype interview and I filled in a long questionnaire. Both the employer used skype and had similar questionnaire. They sent a job offer too! I checked the company in linkedIn, google, nothing comes out. The name of the employees who contacted me in skype seems also fake. The employer name is upwork is Brenda Johnson and Shawn James. 

The names in Skype are Angelina Wright and Clara Oodley (respectively). They are sending a cheque and will provide equipments! What a waste of my time and effort. Why Upwork allows such scam job vacancies? How do we trust vacancies?  

They don't allow it.

We (freelancers) don't go out of our way to disregard ToS, we follow rules in place.

tlsikes
Community Member

As soon as they as to move to Skype without having a contract in place, you should assume it's a scam. Moving to Skype is a violation of Upwork's TOS and you can lose your account for it. Upwork can't really determine in advance which "clients" are going to try this, so it's up to you to avoid it. I find that telling potential clients that we can only talk via Upwork messages weeds out scammers quite well.

e5399063
Community Member

Hi Tracy, Thanks very much! I just registered in upwork, and didn't have the idea that these people are are too! 

renata101
Community Member

Hi Nusrat,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Since contracts are done on Upwork, there shouldn't be any need to provide information by filling out a long form. Please be careful with your personal information.

This is a good article to read to learn more about how to identify scam jobs.
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Thank you Mam, this is very helpful! Best wishes.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members