🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam Job offer
Page options
6f981993
Community Member

Scam Job offer

I was contacted today buy **edited for Community Guidelines** offering me a job of $64 per hour and another $28 for training. I thought I would at least check it out. SO I was to contact **edited for Community Guidelines** to do an interview on Goodle Hangouts. We arrainged for an interview at 4:30 EST - U.S. time. 

The guy wanted to do text only, no video. Took forever for him to respond. This interview took 1.5 hours to conduct. All questions were pretty legit, at the end he asked for my back account, told him to contact Upwork, then told me he would send me a check for the Macbook I had to buy, just print off the check and use your phone app to deposit in your bank, dont forget to withdraw $100 as your sign on bonus. 

Honestly, as soon as they didn't want to do a video chat I was suspicious, the crappy part is I washed my hair and put on make up for this dud. Be aware. 

1 REPLY 1
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tami, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. I wanted to confirm that this is a scam. Offering and accepting to be paid off the website (in this case, accepting a check to buy equipment) is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service as all payments should go through the website. 

I would highly recommend that you read up on this help article for more information on what actions may temporarily, or permanently put your account on hold. Since you are new here, I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork. I hope this helps. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members