🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam! People like these need to be stopped
Page options
lewis_jeremy
Community Member

Scam! People like these need to be stopped

Company name:**Edited for community guidelines**

Position: Remote Data Entry
I believe the client who wanted to hire me is running a scam known as a Work From Home paycheck scam. This is where the person offers to pay good money for work that involves them, the company, sending you a check so you can buy the needed materials e.g: printer, laptop, softwares, etc. The scam being done here is the check isn't valid. They tell you to cash the check and then next day take the money and spend it on 'in house vendors'. The check then bounces, but by then you already spent that money on them.
I hate such tactics and wouldn't feel good to see others fall for this. I am willing to send the messages that were sent via Line. Hope I can help anyway, i was not affected much, they seemed legit to a point. By that time they had only gotten a picture of my ID and my home address.

2 REPLIES 2
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I'll be sure to share this report with our team for their review and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes. Thank you!

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
andreag22
Community Member

I have seen this scam reported at least 3 times today, it's incredible.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths