🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Scam Proposals
Page options
jenniferc77
Community Member

Scam Proposals

Hello, this morning I applied for a Job Proposal to a Project Manager role. I received a message back via Upwork confirming I made it to the next round of the interview and I needed to have the interview via chat on Gmail Hangout. (I now see ALL interviews and comms should go through the updwork platform so from now on I will be aware of that).

I was then sent an email address and I was chatting to this person. The next thing the entire proposal was removed off Upwork and all the messages too. I immediately decided to end the interview with this person. I gave no personal information to the person except they have my email address. I thought I should immediately contact Upwork, because they were claiming to be from a very big online company. What other information can I provide, as I am sure there must have been a potential scam with this job posting?

I am sure i am authorized to report this?

Regards

Jennifer

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and the job has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
imenetalk
Community Member

Google Hangout is a scam red flag everywhere.

I'm sorry you learned this the hard way (by wasting your time).

I still can't solve the mystery of why scammers are in love with Google Hangout and occasionally Whatsapp.

You can simply report as a scam. An action will be taken after they investigate them.

Thank you, the upwork team have flagged this client. No frustrating, luckily I realized it was a scam before of my info was shared.

wescowley
Community Member

Yes, what you're describing is a common start for someone trying to run a scam. If the job posting is still up, you can report it using a link at the top right side of the post. 

Thank you for the reply

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and the job has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you so much. 

So I had pretty much the same experience (learning curve, I guess).  Right about the time I caught on to the scam, I got an email from Upwork saying the posting had been removed for violating TOS, so that part is resolved.

My question is, can I get my connects back that I wasted on that proposal or is that just the cost of a lesson learned?

re: "My question is, can I get my connects back that I wasted on that proposal or is that just the cost of a lesson learned?"

Your connects will be returned automatically.

Do not need to do anything else to make that happen.

Hi Kimberly,

I've checked and connects were already refunded to you as the job has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. You can check this under your Connect History

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths