Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam alert

Highlighted
Thato M Member Since: Feb 9, 2016
1 of 14

Hello Everybody 

I would liek to alert you on a possible scam. I ahd a conversation with a gentleman by the name of **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Nonetheless upon having an "interview" with me , he then requested I purchase a sotfware so that I can sart working for them, and I shall be reimburesed for the software with my first paycheck.. In addition he had said I would receive one week of training whereby I would be paid $20 an hour. For some reason I thought it was just to fishy for me to be the one who has to purchase the software.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 14

It's a well-known scam, those people are probably making a lot of money out of it considering how naive people can be.

Somebody who don't know you at all offers to send you a check. And people fall in this trap head first. It's beyond me.

Just report this job and move forward.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
3 of 14

The most disturbing one is the Chinese 'travel agency' that asks you to send money on to them via your Paypal account. That one could leave the scamees having to explain to the police why they were laundering money for organised crime Cat Surprised

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
4 of 14

Can Upwork complile a list of the ongoing scams and collate them all into a document that all new freelancers must read before being accepted. That way the same scams won't be appearing on the forum month after month, year after year.

Highlighted
5 of 14

Yes I agree with, I am currently very annoyed becasue I wanted to expose the scammer. I had written his name and the name of the organisation he claims to work for in my message but Upwork removed the names. The organisation/comapny seems ligit unfortunately this scammer is using the name to come across as legit as possible.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 14

Hi Thato,

Please report this client directly to Customer Support and share screenshots of your communication and any other relevant information you have.

Hi Ramon, we don't have a list of these schemes but we did outline guidelines, tips and instructions for recognizing, avoiding and reporting job scams in this Help Article, among others.

Highlighted
7 of 14

Hi Vladimir thanx for the advice, I shall report the scammer. Unfortunately I was sooo upset I deleted and blocked him from my yahoo messenger. Next time though if I ever come across such people I will take screen shots.

Highlighted
Randall Corbin P Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
8 of 14

This Freelancer also posts as a CLIENT for periodic job support.

Over this past weekend 13 apparently legitimate jobs were posted in my CLIENT name.  I was alerted by a long time Freelancer friend who saw these posts 5 hours ahead of me in Europe.  I alerted Upwork immediately about the PHONY job posts.  Hundreds and hundreds of legitimate Freelancers bid on these phony jobs.

Today Upwork Security notified me: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I am not new to Elance/Upwork.  I am very cautious about job replies.  I report suspected fraud whenever I find clues.

BE ALERTED FRIENDS...this could happen to you. I feel very sorry for applicants who thought there was legitimate work to be found.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 14

Hi Randall Corbin,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience. I see you have updated the login information, your account access has been resorted and the job post removed.

We do ask our users to be safety-conscious and not share any personally-identifiable information that could be used to access their Upwork, email, financial and other accounts, even with clients or freelancers they trust. To read more safety tips and advice please refer to the following Help articles: here and here.

I edited your comment since it's a violation of our Community Guidelines to share private communications in the Community forums.

Highlighted
Christine T Member Since: Mar 16, 2016
10 of 14

Thank you for your post, it was very helpful. The original name and organization still show up when you Google search for the name and company involved. I received an unsolicited offer to interview, the person's e-mail address was not associated with the company mentioned and the interview was outside UpWork (also on Yahoo). As this didn't sit well with me, I did an internet search to come up with your forum post. Once again, thank you. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS