Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam alert:**

hmnina
Nina Hsu M Member Since: Aug 28, 2016
1 of 7

Dear community and Upwork,

Many of us are getting lots of inviation and it's a scam at the end.People trust Upwork to find jobs here.And Upwork is getting a cut of every paycheck. I think Upwork team should set up a security system to better screen job posers as well. Verify payment and other screen methods,PLEASE.

It happens TOO MANY times to many people that work for free and get nothing and waste a lot of time. Many of my friends uses Upwork and got screwed.You need to improve your website and your service before this website becomes famous for fraud and scams.

Please avoid a company calll **edited for Community Guidelines** inviation.

Thank you.

digdipper
Hernan A Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
2 of 7

I guess you're right. I have been working at UPwork for almost five years. I guess recently I think I was scammed too by one of my clients. I am so naive to write 41 articles for her without having demanded a milestone for the work. I think every thing came too quick and I feel I was hoodwinked into believing that this person is trustworthy. I think that I better look for a different job now.

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 7

Hi Nina,

I'm sorry to hear about the experience. I assure you, we do have a team dedicated to keeping the site safe and secure for all good users. This includes policies and actions aimed at misbehaving clients as well. 

You'll see I edited some of the details of your original post. It's against our Community Guidelines to include names, user IDs, etc. of others on the platform. The best way to "warn" others is to report those bad users directly to Upwork so we can take a look.

Finally, Lena posted this discussion thread the other day that you and Hernan might find useful. 

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
4 of 7

Upwork do verify payment. That's the big one for me... I don't really mind if the client says they're a 30 year old lady from Egypt and it turns out they're a 60 year old man from New Zealand. As long as the payment is verified, and the escrow is funded. Then I'm good to go!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 7
You leave those unverified payment method people to the experts. They my favorites.
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 7

Nina, isn't the answer to that problem for freelancers simply to opt not to work for free? Upwork tells us not to. Upwork warns freelancers about working before payment methods are verified or milestones are funded. If freelancers choose to ignore that, is that really Upwork's responsibility?

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
7 of 7

@Tiffany S wrote:

Nina, isn't the answer to that problem for freelancers simply to opt not to work for free? Upwork tells us not to. Upwork warns freelancers about working before payment methods are verified or milestones are funded. If freelancers choose to ignore that, is that really Upwork's responsibility?

As the saying goes... Thou can lead a horse to water, but a stone in the hand is worth two in the bush. It's something like that anyway.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS