Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam being posted

impactwebdesign
Community Leader
Dan S Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
1 of 10

I will not post the clients name but if this description sounds familiar you had better be careful:

Basically,I have small scale business which I want to turn into large scale business now,its located in GA and the company is based on importing and exporting of Agriculture products such as Kola Nut, Gacillia Nut and Cocoa so i need a best of the best layout design for it.

He has posted the same job 12 times and many upwork service providers have applied for it. Save your connects, it is a scam. he will ask you for your personal email, then tells you that you have the job, he will send you money outside of Upwork but you need to send part of it to his graphics guy. It is a waste of your connects to even apply to his project.

mark8979
Community Leader
Mark C Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
2 of 10

There are far too many scam jobs on here. I don't know about other disciplines, but there are literally hundreds in the writing section.

Most have 100s of articles that they need writing and the vast majority are new clients to Upwork. Usually, they have no verified payment method either.

They tend to have loads of interviews but no hires. If you apply they want a Skype ID and then, on Skype will offer jobs, but outside Upwork.

I have noticed a couple though that are getting clever and have a couple of very low paying jobs credited to them.

As Dan said, they usually have several posts within a short period.

I don't touch any job now without at least a verified payment method. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 10

You know, I honestly think some people spend more time and energy trying to run their stupid scams than if they just worked within the rules and tried to get something done by hiring quality professionals.

blastofflabs
Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
4 of 10

Dan and Mark, I am a relatively new arrival to Upwork (6 weeks ago) so I just wanted to say "thanks" for posting this info about scam job listings for the rest of us.  I am considering not applying to positions where the payment method hasn't been verified.  Another one I've learned is to watch the average rate paid, many employers like to pay $3 to $5 per hour which is definitely not for me!

impactwebdesign
Community Leader
5 of 10

Just to be clear, I was not referring to all clients, just that client that posted that same job description under several different projects. There are some great clients here. I knew it was a scam as soon as he wanted to go outside of Upwork, then wanted to text me to discuss the project. I took screen shots of all the texts on my iphone, asked him for photo ID and he sent me a copy of his passport (who knows actually whose it was) and got him to say he was the same guy that posted the project. I then sent all of this stuff to Upwork to handle. Having said that, it pays to watch who you do business with, only accept money through Upwork, and NEVER send part of it to someone else for software, content or anything else.

Follow my life motto of "Keep your finger on the trigger and your eye on the money" and you will be fine.

impactwebdesign
Community Leader
6 of 10

I just looked up this cleint and, despite my sending screen shots of his fraudulent pitch to Upwork as they requested and flagging hos fraud projects, his profile is still active. Upwork told me he would be removed but he is still trying to scam service providers with a phony story. Why is this?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 10

Hi Dan,

I have checked and it looks like the team is working with the client to make sure he does not violate the policies in the future. If he does, he will face account closure. I will additionally follow up about this case with them.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork
noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
8 of 10

There really are way too much of these "want you to work outside of the platform" scams lately. I applied for a short translation job in the first weeks I joined and was interviewed, but ended up not getting the job as it went to someone who could take it on straight on the spot. Fair enough, you snooze, you lose. I had provided the company with my Skype as it was a requirement for the job, and next week I started being bombarded by them for another short job - "are you there?", "are you there?" every couple of minutes. What they were trying to offer me was 0,03$ per word for a medical translation, and as I wasn't online at the time, they then went as far as to search me up on Facebook and started messaging me there as well. After that, I hid my full surname from view on UpWork in hopes of it making me at least slightly harder to find by aggressive clients/companies like that one.

Sheesh.

muller_mark
Mark M Member Since: Dec 5, 2017
9 of 10

Regarding the scam being posted, I got the following email:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 10

Hi Mark,

Did you communicate with a client via Upwork before they sent you an email? I'm not able to locate the job you are referring to.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS