🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam client
Page options
msg157
Community Member

Scam client

I applied a Chinese translation for a job posted on Upwork by**Edited for Community Guidelines**

, they leave me a telegram link so i contacted them. they require me translate 30 pages of English and promise will pay after 12 hours ,i spent 3 days to translate and submit my work but they didn't pay me till now(already more than 2 days). So i realized they are cheaters. when i tried to found their message on Upwrok just been deleted without my notice.

Just wonder how they can delete the message ? i saw there are so many people apply their job so must lots of people were cheated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Kevin,

I would like to confirm that our team has taken proper actions towards the client and their job post was removed for violations of our TOS.

I would also like to note that communicating outside of Upwork before an official contract is formed is a violation of our TOS as well. To learn more about how our payment protection works, check out this help article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member

When upwork deletes the job posting, everything disappears. You need to be more aware of the ToS and what you are allowed to do.

Thanks for you help

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Kevin,

I would like to confirm that our team has taken proper actions towards the client and their job post was removed for violations of our TOS.

I would also like to note that communicating outside of Upwork before an official contract is formed is a violation of our TOS as well. To learn more about how our payment protection works, check out this help article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran, that is really help. just my first time encounter scammer.

nyonomega0
Community Member

Kevin M wrote:

telegram

Scam

Kevin M wrote:

but they didn't pay me till now

They probably won't pay you, because it was a scam.

Kevin M wrote:
So i realized they are cheaters.

Yes, they are cheaters.

Kevin M wrote:

Just wonder how they can delete the message ?

Both parties are allowed to edit or delete messages, but oly within 1 hour of posting them.

---

Was it an hourly contract or a fixed-priced one?

Was there even a contract?

Did you contact them through telegram BEFORE accepting a contract?

Kindly let me know.

ETA: Seems like your issue has been fixed.

sofia2008
Community Member

I am really sorry this happend to you. Stay safe out there. Regardless of the amount promissed, do not communicate outside of Upwork. They are providing enough communication means to stay on the platform before being formally hired.

The sad thing is that scammers are enabled by people engaging in their scam.

To Upwork:

Would it be possible for Upwork to send an automated email to each new freelancer after they open an account to remind them of the Terms of service they need to obey by, in a bullet form of some sort. I understand it is the responsability of everyone to read the ToS before joining, but people most likely don't as they are eager to start earning money, which defeat the purpose, since they are engaging with doubtful clients, keeping them coming on this platform.

Thank you!

They do all of that already. People just don't care to read it, and come to the forum after they have been scammed. 

8f7c4e17
Community Member

Hi Mr.Kevin,

I got same projects too from **Edited for Community Guidelines**. They want me to translate the 100pages to our Language (filipino) actually i am currently working on it. However i am worried if i am being scammed because your post is same as my project now 😞

I am communicating via Telegram too 

Hi Maria Carmela,

Thank you for reaching out to us. As a gentle reminder, please know that communicating outside Upwork prior to a contract starting is against our Terms of Service

I checked the job post you were referring to and it seems that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

~ AJ
Upwork
8f7c4e17
Community Member

Got this. Thanks. Is there anyway to provide some actions of this SCAMMER?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members