cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam? *edited*

bigb21
Kristi B Member Since: Jul 14, 2016
1 of 13

Has anyone been offered a job from **Edited for Community Guidelines**? I am new to Upwork and was excited to be offered a job! He asked for my cell # and email. Then was texting me my offer.  A "contract" was sent to my email and I declined it. Didn't hear anymore from him. 

Thanks for the help!

Kristi B

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

lol @ **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Anyone who brings up "work from home" on here is a scam. So is anyone who talks about HR.

Out of curiosity, what did the contract promise? What did he want you to sign?

View solution in original post

bigb21
Kristi B Member Since: Jul 14, 2016
3 of 13

So, most postitions that say they are virtual are a scam?

lysis10
Community Guru
4 of 13

lol @ that website. And LOL at that letter. I'm so glad I got to see it.

Yeah, it's a scam.

lysis10
Community Guru
5 of 13

@Kristi B wrote:

So, most postitions that say they are virtual are a scam?

Anyone who mentions "work from home" or "work at home" is a scammer. When someone posts a project here, they don't care where you work. They just want you to get something done. Well, maybe if you're a VA or something. I've known people who want to avoid people who work in Internet cafes so they go as far as to ask for a pic of the work environment. This is an extreme example though for someone who works with low cost providers and wants to avoid the low end of the low end.

Anyone who mentions HR departments and benefits and all that too. Scam. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 13

@Jennifer M wrote:

I've known people who want to avoid people who work in Internet cafes so they go as far as to ask for a pic of the work environment. T

So glad you mentioned this. If someone asked me for a pic of my work environment, I would have assumed he/she was a burglar.

lysis10
Community Guru
7 of 13

lol I know. I told him I'd never do it but I guess he's gotten a lot of flaky freelancers that work from Internet cafes. If you can't even afford your own Internet, you probably need to do something else. 

I'd go to a McDonalds out of desperation before I'd go to one of those gross places. At least McDonalds has delicious fries.

lysis10
Community Guru
8 of 13

Oh and cuz it's fun to track down these people, the guy in the video says his name is Todd but the channel name is Brett. Looks like Brett peddles diet pills and other snake oil so not surprised he's into shady pyramid schemes.

I'm sure the guy in the email is some schmoe in Africa because Brett is in the US and hopefully knows better than to play this game cuz it's serious jail time.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 13

Good GRIEF

How could this possibly, in any way, shape, or form, be anything OTHER than a scam?

The pertinent proof (if one did not recognize the broken English and abject nonsense in the rest of the ludicrous blurb) is here:

"please understand that the company policy is that you are expected to have or buy all the materials needed for the Job before you start working and every dime you spent in getting all materials will be reimburse back to you along with your wages salary reason is to be rest assured that you are 100% committed and ready for this Job"

lysis10
Community Guru
10 of 13

Dude is responding to me on his YouTube channel and denying it. LOL Just posted that it's a scam in his YouTube channel.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS