cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam from someone claiming to be *Edit*

Highlighted
Melissa K Member Since: Jul 19, 2017
1 of 5

I am new to Upwork. I spent a lot of time this morning with a chat interview on Google Hangouts with someone claiming to be from **Edited for Community Guidelines**. After answering typical interview questions, they offereed the position. It sounded too good to be true. They were offering $26/ hour for copy editing and a free Macbook Pro. All from just a chat interview. The email they gave me was not a centurylink email, but a google one. I quit talking to them at this point, knowing anything that good to be true probably was. My question is how do I identify something like this sooner? I'm debating whether I even want to continue trying to work through Upwork, because I will assume everything is a scam.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

@Melissa K wrote:

My question is how do I identify something like this sooner? I'm debating whether I even want to continue trying to work through Upwork, because I will assume everything is a scam.

First of all, it's good that you didn't fall for the scam. To identify scams sooner, I suggest looking over this community topic: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

But besides all that, regard any invitations you receive with skepticism, because scammers target newcomers. And any job that proposes payment outside Upwork -- and sending you a free laptop is definitely a form of payment circumventing Upwork -- is a ToS violation and you should flag it as inappropriate and report it to Upwork. Lastly, any 'client' claiming to represent some large corporation is likely to be bogus. BUT assuming EVERYTHING is a scam is going too far. Do a search for jobs involving copy editing, and I'm sure you'll find plenty posted by clients who have an Upwork hiring history and good reviews from freelancers.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, I think you're overqualified for data entry, which is over saturated anyway, so you might want to omit that from your profile title. Lastly, good luck!

3 of 5

re: "My question is how do I identify something like this sooner?"

Easy.

Google Hangouts invites = scam

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Melissa,

I can confirm that the job you are referring to has already been removed as inappropriate. Please, check the post John shared for more information on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thanks for reporting.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Deena H Member Since: May 21, 2018
5 of 5

I think I may have been nearly taken in by something similar. I interviewed for it today through Google Hangouts, sorry I didn't realize until later that was a violation of terms, and went through a bunch of questions. They invited me to apply and I did. It started out as an editor position and morphed into a combo editor/proofreader position.

This one is $35.40 an hour for 6 months. They are going to send a check for me to buy the MacBook laptop with the software they use installed on it.

I just got notified by Upwork that the job was removed because it was not in compliance with terms. I don't want to turn down legitimate work but I also don't want to get scammed. I am so new I haven't had a chance to read much about how to determine what is legit and what isn't. From this point forward I will insist that it stay in the UpWork system.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS