Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam job!

Highlighted
Ben F Member Since: Nov 2, 2014
1 of 17

Hi dear Freelancer,

Recently I have received a job appointment. The task was simple to collect about 2000 phone numbers and links from www.craiglist.com web site and put it to excel spreadsheet. Actually I did not make this job, because the client was very doubtful and suggest to work out Upwork via Skype and give no guarantees of payment. Is anyone face with Don Richardson on Upwork and his job posting, please share your experience? Although I have concider him as a Scam so be very careful, I have spoken with him via Skype to get some guarantees about the payment but he refused to do so.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
2 of 17

So...

- Ridiculous Yahoo email address

- Spammy job 

- Work outside of Upwork

- No guaranteed payment

That's a scam?? What a surprise!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 17

Not only is it a scam but you must report it to CS.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
4 of 17

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

So...

- Ridiculous Yahoo email address

- Spammy job 

- Work outside of Upwork

- No guaranteed payment

That's a scam?? What a surprise!

Isabelle,

I agree with all of your list but for working on Skype. I work with 90% of my clients in the past on Skype. But the OP should have had a job set here on Upwork before he ever started a job. Interviewing on Skype is not scammy nor working on it, but the other things he mentioned are certainly warning signs.

Ben,

Never do work until you have a contract.

Never take payment off of Upwork

Most yahoo emails are scammy

Also I would remove the clients name and email from your post because it is against the forum rules. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
5 of 17

Agreed Suzanne. I added Skype to the list as an afterthought and because I have a personal vendetta against clients who insist on communicating through Skype (because of my bad experiences with it).

I understand that it's necessary for some jobs, but generally I feel that email's the better option. (I would have said don't take communication off Upwork, but since the site is so unreliable, never mind!)

Highlighted
Ben F Member Since: Nov 2, 2014
6 of 17

Dears,

Thanks for all your replies. I have firstly report it on Upwork as a Scam, than I told that guy that he has been reported by me, and as reply he sent me a very embarrising message with many rude words. So I'm sure he was a scam, because on this past days I was asking him to give me some payment guarantees and no reply to that question.

I agree that doing interview on Skype is not sign of scam, but in this case there was no interview no agreement only job description and promises that the payment will be done within 24 hours. Once again thanks for all your replies.

Regard,

Ben

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
7 of 17

Ben if it is any comfort, I once did exactly the same thing - and received an extremely nasty reply from the scammer!

The only thing to do is to move on and let Upwork do the rest!

Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 17

Ben, you are new. Scammers target newbies because they can rarely get experienced contractors to jump through their hoops and fall for their tricks. Most clients on Upwork are NOT like this.

Real clients don't "promise" payment. They hire you, or they don't. Real clients are payment-verified before you start working, or they have already funded milestones before you do fixed-price work. If they're new, maybe they need a reminder to fund a milestone or get payment-verified. If they don't, then a wise contractor waits until they do, or moves on and ignores them, but never does any work when proof of the ability to pay is not in place.

You learned a valuable lesson and won't listen to somebody like this in the future.

Highlighted
Brylle John V Member Since: Dec 28, 2015
9 of 17

Hi, 

Yea, since I sign up, and 3 weeks now I got a lot of them, but of course common sense has telling me that it was a scam, some of them are too obvious.

I guess Upwork need an auto message for every new member to aware about scammers and read some important guides here before going forward.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
10 of 17

Hi Brylle, 

For your reference, you may check out this thread on "Job warning signs" to help you identify red flags on a job post. You may also check out Upwork's Terms of Service and visit Upwork's Knowledge Base to brush up on the rules and regulations of the platform. 

Goodluck!
Avery

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS