cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam job!

Highlighted
Joy A Member Since: Feb 1, 2016
11 of 17

Hi All, I am new to Upwork and seem to have been scammed as well. I have created my profile around last year or so but it's just recently that I decided to browse through the job postings and actually apply. I have regularly been transcribing for some **Edited for Community Guidelines** (may not even be his real name) since the 1st week of January this year. Prior to starting on the 1st project he gave me, he said their company make payments every 1st and 15th of the month. Then came January 15th, he said they were just going to make the payment altogether on the 31st and apologized for the delay. As trusting and naive as I was, I believed him and still continued transcribing for him until yesterday (Jan 31st). After I sent the last work I did, I inquired about the pay and he said I was gonna get it within the day, but right after the conversation he blocked me in Upwork and Skype. I have lost a month's worth of labor.

It was the 1st job I ever did here. I guess I got overly excited and just jumped right into it without really reading the guidelines and all. I learned my lesson the hard way. I guess not everyone are really here for the right reasons...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 17

Were you hired with a contract on Upwork and the job appearing under your My Jobs Tab?

Highlighted
Joy A Member Since: Feb 1, 2016
13 of 17

I don't remember so. I didn't even know about that contract thingy, until I came across this thread here.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 17

Hi Joy,

I'm sorry about your bad experience with this client. I see the job wasn't awarded to you and you have already reported the client to Support.

However, upon checking your account, I see you have a number of questionable arrangements with other clients for whose jobs you had applied. I'll reiterate that paying and receiving payment outside Upwork is against our policy and carries a penalty for all parties involved. Our team will reach out to you shortly.

Highlighted
Sheikh M Member Since: Feb 9, 2017
15 of 17

I don't know why do upwork even allow these kind of people to become an employer so easily. There has to be some kind of verification steps in order for us be safe from these scammers. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 17

re: "I don't know why do upwork even allow these kind of people to become an employer so easily. There has to be some kind of verification steps in order for us be safe from these scammers."

Sheikh:

There are no screening or verification steps when somebody signs up to be a client on Upwork. Upwork wants as many people as possible to be customers and to pay for its product, which is how it earns revenue. It's how freelancers (Upwork's partners) earn money as well.

So the barrier to entry is very low. It is very easy to become a client and post jobs.

There ARE limited automated algorithms that check job postings and try to flag or prevent display of jobs which clearly violate Upwork rules.

There is a limited amount of human-based checking of job postings.

But for the most part, Upwork relies on us, the freelancers, to flag and report jobs which violate Upwork rules, but which don't get flagged by automated computer algorithms.

You wonder why there are so many scammers here?

The reason is very simple:

There are too many freelancers who violate Upwork rules and send money to scammers or working for free for scammers.

If it were not for the foolish freelancers sending money or free work to scammers, then there would be very few scammers here.

So that is the reason why there are many scammers here.

Is there a technological way to prevent these scammers? No, there is not. Not within Upwork's current business model.

This is because scammers create job listings which DO NOT violate Upwork rules. So there is nothing in the job listing itself that could cause the job to be prohibited or flagged.

It is only after scammers contact individual freelancers using invitations, or receive proposals from freelancers, that the scammers ask the freelancers to do things which violate Upwork rules and end up with the freelancers wasting their time and losing their money.

Highlighted
Amol K Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
17 of 17

Hi Ben,

Even "thekingofcraigs@gmail.com" is a scam, the person name is Dave Carlson. The same way he asked me to complate the list of contact details of about 2000 contact numbers. But not ready to send the aggrement on upwork. As it was not a big amount. He offered my 50$ per 500 contacts and i did the same, that was my biggest mistake here. But i did stoped at that place n ask for payment for my work. But no response till now. 

Thanks

Amol 

@Ben F wrote:

Hi dear Freelancer,

Recently I have received a job appointment. The task was simple to collect about 2000 phone numbers and links from www.craiglist.com web site and put it to excel spreadsheet. Actually I did not make this job, because the client was very doubtful and suggest to work out Upwork via Skype and give no guarantees of payment. Is anyone face with Don Richardson on Upwork and his job posting, please share your experience? Although I have concider him as a Scam so be very careful, I have spoken with him via Skype to get some guarantees about the payment but he refused to do so.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS