🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam job
Page options
ilonakursitys
Community Member

Scam job

Hi,

I submitted a proposal to the translation job **Edited for Community Guidelines** and started being interviewed. The client asked me to join their translation team in slack and direct message their manager there. The manager wrote that "This is not a translation job" and that he wanted to rent my upwork account. I certainly declined that and withdrew my proposal to the job. I also flagged the job as inappropriate because of scam. I have screenshots if needed.

I think that job sould be closed and the connects returned back to the freelancers, who applied that job, which turned out to be scam.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ilona:

Because you flagged the job as inappropriate, and because this job obviously violates Upwork ToS, then Upwork will remove the job and everybody who submitted proposals will receive their connects back.

But if somebody withdraws their proposal before that time, such a person will not receive their connects back.

Next time you encounter a job such as this which clearly violates Upwork ToS:

- do flag the job as inappropriate

- do not withdraw your proposal

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
filip_knezevic
Community Member

Well, banning them from the platform would be even better. 🙂

prestonhunter
Community Member

Ilona:

Because you flagged the job as inappropriate, and because this job obviously violates Upwork ToS, then Upwork will remove the job and everybody who submitted proposals will receive their connects back.

But if somebody withdraws their proposal before that time, such a person will not receive their connects back.

Next time you encounter a job such as this which clearly violates Upwork ToS:

- do flag the job as inappropriate

- do not withdraw your proposal

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ilona,

Could you please send me a PM with more information along with the screenshots so that I can send a report to our team for investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
wendyjgummere
Community Member

I submitted a proposal and the woman told me she needed to catch a flight out and asked if we could text.   She then told me the job had something to do with online currency and that she would deposit money into a Paypal account and I would purchase things online for her.   I told her this job was not for me assuming it is a scam - it has all the signs.   Can I get my connects credited back to me?

Yes.

You can get your connects credited back to you.

If you use the "Flag as inappropriate" link button on the job posting page to report this fraudulent job, then Upwork will remove the job posting and AUTOMATICALLY refund your connects.

Hi Wendy, 

I'm glad to know that you were able to identify the red flag immediately before the client could have scammed you. I checked your account, and it looks like the Connects for this job has already been returned to your account. You may check it by viewing your Connects History page (Settings > Membership & Connects > View Connects History).

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members