🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam jobs samples
Page options
markzolotoy
Community Member

Scam jobs samples

If I see a job which description starts with someone's name like Hello John D. should I stay away from it? Another example when the job has already a number of proposals, like between 20 and 50, but not a single interview for days or even weeks. Should I waste my connects for such jobs?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Mark G wrote:

If I see a job which description starts with someone's name like Hello John D. should I stay away from it? Another example when the job has already a number of proposals, like between 20 and 50, but not a single interview for days or even weeks. Should I waste my connects for such jobs?

Thanks

They are not necessarily scams.  If an offer starts with someone's name 'Hello John D', it could just be that the client has misposted the offer, and on the second, the client may have wandered off or hired from another platform. 

But in either case, I wouldn't waste my connects.  

(ETA somewhat later: Your connects are not returned if a client posts and never hires. Sorry - I posted without checking.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bevcam
Community Member

They're all over and are obviously a scam. They're mostly poorly written and for low rates.

I wouldn't touch them so I'd say stay away.

petra_r
Community Member

Mark G wrote:

If I see a job which description starts with someone's name like Hello John D. should I stay away from it?

No, that is usually a client who meant to invite a particular freelancer and posted the job post publicly. Nothing about that element (the job post starting with Hello John D.) points at a scam.

Mark G wrote:

Another example when the job has already a number of proposals, like between 20 and 50, but not a single interview for days or even weeks.

Again, not a scam. Just a job post where the client never hired.

Neither case is something I would spend my connect on. I don't even look at job posts that were posted weeks ago and if the client has already decided on a freelancer (hence the "Hello John"), there is little point either. But a scam is something else.

Bev C wrote:

They're all over and are obviously a scam.

There is nowhere near enough info to come to that conclusion. A client not hiring is not a scam and a client mixing up an invite and a public job post isn't either

colettelewis
Community Member

Mark G wrote:

Thanks

They are not necessarily scams.  If an offer starts with someone's name 'Hello John D', it could just be that the client has misposted the offer, and on the second, the client may have wandered off or hired from another platform. 

But in either case, I wouldn't waste my connects.  

(ETA somewhat later: Your connects are not returned if a client posts and never hires. Sorry - I posted without checking.)

Sometimes I get invites that have the wrong name, either because they're tried hiring already and been unsuccessful in hiring someone, or it's a piece of the same project (designing a book interior vs a cover, for example) and they just left the old freelancer's name in there by mistake.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths