🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam or Genuine - Telegram Interviews
Page options
amrutha-upasi
Community Member

Scam or Genuine - Telegram Interviews

Hi,

I`m new to Upwork and would need your help in identifying genuine job/contract propsal because I had a bitter experience recently and I`m still not aware if its a genuine one.

I was contacted by '**Edited for community guidelines**' and asked for a 'Telegram' interview. Just learnt that its a chat only platform and was not asked for a telephonic call/video call/screen share. The chat interview looked very formal and professional and lasted for 90 mins, where I was pointed to their website - 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Below were the only interview questions and nothing related to my technical skill/domain (web development/CMS).  Few questions marked below in red raised suspicion and was offered a contract and an offer was sent to my email id . Email was sent from :**Edited for community guidelines**. Should I sign and send a copy of my ID. Also, I don`t see job posting on Upwork now. Is this how it works on Upwork ? 

------

Below are the questionnaire for this interview, you are required to answer all questions below within 35 minutes, good luck as you proceed.

**Edited for community guidelines**

13 REPLIES 13
prestonhunter
Community Member

Amrutha:
This is just a scammer who wants to steal money from you.

Telegram interviews are all scams as far as we know.

Also: You would be violating Upwork ToS if you communicated with a client via Telegram prior to being officially hired with an Upwork contract.

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Is there a quick guide for newbies here on Upwork, so that I could avoid such scams. The scammer persuaded me and made me believe that this is the way to go about it. I believed that telegram is part of Upwork and a tool used to share screens. 

Hi Amrutha,

Few important things you should notice to stay away from scams like these,

1. Never use any other application outside Upwork to communicate with your client, because we have all the features inside Upwork, for the communication with a client there is a message option on top of the page just left side of '?'  you have text messaging option, Phone call option, Upwork call option and Zoom meeting option too.

2. Always make sure you start working only after accepting the job contract, the client will send you the contract including all the details of the particular project to accept, If doesn't, just remind your client to send the contract.

3. You can send all the works through Upwork, don't use any outside platform for file sharing.

These things will keep you stray safe on Upwork and secure your work & earnings.

I hope this is helpful.

Kamarudheen C wrote:

1. Never use any other application outside Upwork to communicate with your client

Wrong. Once you are hired and have a contract, you can communicate however it suits yourself and the client. The restricions are only before a contract is in place.

Kamarudheen C wrote:

3. don't use any outside platform for file sharing.

Wrong again. Once you are hired and have a contract, you can send work however it suits your client, and many things can't be properly or safely sent or at all sent through Upwork.

Hiii!

This helped me so much! I just signed up with Upwork and so far what I’m seeing is great! But…it’s scary with all the scammers! I was already reluctant bc of the quick response to my proposal! I was also invited twice to Telegram for an interview! I just signed up today and was so excited to see I had gotten a response, but I’m going to continue because I know something real will come my way!
JoanneP

Hi Amrutha,

In addition to the helpful information shared with you here, please check out this help article for more information about staying safe on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
llopezcreative
Community Member

Is there a way to report these? I received a message from a proposal to go to Telegram(had no idea that this was not a normal protocol for Upwork, I am new to Upwork). I would like to report the post. This is definitely a scam.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Lorelei,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. You can learn how to flag suspicious activity hereWe take every report of suspicious or inappropriate activity seriously. Every report is sent directly to our Trust and Safety team for investigation.

~Andrea
Upwork
2785f146
Community Member

Hello there, I'm also a newbie and sending proposal for the posted jobs, I received messages telling me to reply via telegram and asking a milestone fee and do not do that because it's a scam just stick within the upwork framework. Take care

9a6dc356
Community Member

In my not very long experience in Upwork, I know that engaging with clients outside Upwork for a job that was posted in Upwork goes against regulations and could lead to you being penalized by Upwork.

Secondly, all job posts that contain instructions (e.g. WhatsApp, telegram, telephone number, web link, etc.) for engagement outside Upwork are more often than not scams that will lead to you operating in an unprotected environment where you are exposed to all manner of unscrupulous dealings. Be wise. decline such an invitation and seek for assistance before you engage.

Point of advice: I have learnt that all job posts with "Verified Payment" rarely have such nonsense, so I always apply the "Verified Payment" filter to all my job searches. Maybe I miss some opportunities, but I feel safer.

I almost alway do the same thing.

8c760c47
Community Member

I, too, received a dubious meeting request to use Telegram for the initial meeting from someone representing Agilent Technologies. They provided the hiring manager's name along with detailed instructions on downloading and launching the app, how to set up the account, and how to sign in - using the HR Managers name.

I decided to look up the company on Linked In and then searched for the name provided. He did come up with the right credentials. I thought I'd message him directly to ask if the the posting was legitimate, but his MESSAGE button was locked. I also searched for the job under their job listings, which numbered in the 1,000s, but nothing was listed.

It was all seemingly legit but I KNOW BETTER. AND I read these posts and knew my instincts were correct.

So, I called their bluff and requested they set up a meeting through the Upwork platform. Let's ee if they actually respond.   

Keep in mind that if communicating on Telegram (outside Upwork) before a contract is in place is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service, reaching out to a client outside Upwork to vet him is also a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.

Scammers use legitimate names of people and companies in case freelancers try to ckeck them out. The Telegram request should be enough to stop communicating with them and flag them.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members