Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam or Legit?

rmarie8301
Rachel P Member Since: Mar 23, 2018
1 of 5

Hey there!

I am new to UpWork and was invited to apply for a job through a guy names **Edited for Community Guidelines** ?? 

Anyone know if this could be a scam or not?

He has asked for some personal info and won't respond to questions asking him to have a video call before I pass along my info. 

I am worried about being scammed...any help is appreciated!

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
2 of 5

Hi Rachel,

You can probably trust your sense son this one since there is very little reason to request personal information on Upwork since your profile already includes your eduction, work history and other information that would be necessary to help a client learn about you professionally. I would advise against sharing personal information at all. You can flag the job for us to review it by clicking on the "Flag as inappropriate" link located at the upper right of the job posting, or can alternatively send it to me in a PM and I'll have our team review it. To learn more about things to look out for and suspicious jobs to avoid, you'll want to check out this thread, there is a lot of great info and tips there.

~Nina
rmarie8301
Rachel P Member Since: Mar 23, 2018
3 of 5

Thank you, 

I am still unsure...he did just call me and we spoke for a while about the position...I don't think I am going to follow through with talking to him. I will try to find his post and flag it.

Thanks! 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 5

Set a clear policy for your business (as a freelancer). I will provide X information to a prospective client; I won't  provide Z information to a prospective client. Then, stick to that policy.  If someone presses, just tell them that is your policy for all contracts and you use the Upwork system specifically because it allows you to work with strangers without disclosing the requested information. No reasonable client should press for more information. A prospect who does is probably not someone you should agree to work with. 

ETA: Everyone's policy is different. Some won't provide an email or phone number. Some don't share their social media profiles. Others have a separate email that they use only for client interactions. Detailed information that can be used for identity theft- don't give it out, no amount of money is worth the risk. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 5

Is it real?Is it real?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS