Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam or not -Writing Task

mallikajoshi
Molly J Member Since: Jul 19, 2016
1 of 4

Hi Guys,

Lately I have come across around 5 jobs where the client says he will pay bi-weekly or monthly basis through direct transfer or paypal. And the task is assigned one by one, which means after the completetion of one article, the next instruction is forwarded. I am not sure if these are authentic people and if they will be paying at all. They are offering quite good rates for articles which is creating more doubs, has anyone come across such offers and what is your expereience?

Thanks in advance

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

I don't know whether they really plan to pay you or not (probably not), but any payment outside of Upwork is a serious TOS violation and will get your account banned.

When a prospective client offers to pay you directly, report them and stop interacting.

View solution in original post

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 4

Hi Molly, 

Tiffany is right. It is a violation of Upwork's TOS to accept payment, and pay outside of the platform. If you haven't already, please report these clients to our support team so that they can take actions against the job post and the client's account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
4 of 4

Molly J wrote: '... he will pay bi-weekly or monthly basis through direct transfer or paypal...'

Any client who either tried or managed to con me as a newbie offered jobs that would be paid after a significantly long period - and yes, bi-weekly is a looong looong time for a client you are working with for the 1st time.

Number 2 - as others have already mentioned, any offer to make payments outside Upwork is a sign of trouble - biiig trouble! Don't second guess yourself when such job ads give you a chill; not even when they offer big rates. Such clients are wont to putting their rates above most others as a bait. Play safe - ignore them. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS