postell95

Scam or not a scam?

Hi, thank you for your help. I have a client who sent me an invitation. However, she has cancelled the job on Upwork but she is still messaging me about the job through email. I believe it may be someone trying to scam me although I am really unsure. If you could help me in this situation I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you, Sherri

P.S If someone can message me through Upwork I will explain the details of this "suspicious" job.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter

Sherri:

It sounds like this person is just wasting your time.

First of all, you must always be polite, even to clients whose behavior you don't understand, and even to scammers.

You have a few options:

a) use your email software settings to completely block this person from being able to communicate with you; you may also use the Upwork Messenger tool to block contact from a specific person

b) send a simple short note to the person:

"Nancy: Thank you for your interest in working with me. You can set up an hourly contract on Upwork using my posted rate ($X.00/hour). When you send me a hire offer using that contract, I will accept it and I can start working on your project."

And that's it. Don't budge from this. If the client doesn't have an Upwork contract with you, then you don't do anything with her. You don't discuss the project. You don't do training. You don't provide sample work. She has a contract with you or she doesn't. That's it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter

Sherri:

It sounds like this person is just wasting your time.

First of all, you must always be polite, even to clients whose behavior you don't understand, and even to scammers.

You have a few options:

a) use your email software settings to completely block this person from being able to communicate with you; you may also use the Upwork Messenger tool to block contact from a specific person

b) send a simple short note to the person:

"Nancy: Thank you for your interest in working with me. You can set up an hourly contract on Upwork using my posted rate ($X.00/hour). When you send me a hire offer using that contract, I will accept it and I can start working on your project."

And that's it. Don't budge from this. If the client doesn't have an Upwork contract with you, then you don't do anything with her. You don't discuss the project. You don't do training. You don't provide sample work. She has a contract with you or she doesn't. That's it.

Thank you for your help. I sent her the second example with my rate included. If I am not sent a contract through Upwork then I know that was a scam although I am always polite.